Chapter Six

Devotion and Desire

Your limp body is thrown to the ground harshly. Instantly you jump to your feet and grab your sword, but, as you reach back your arm grabs nothing. Confused you look over your shoulder and see nothing. Then, you look down at your hands and you see... nothing. Nothing but the outline of what used to be. A glowing green energy that you could only assume to be your soul. You look around to see three if those black creatures. They were still looking at you hungrily. Slowly you take a couple step backs. Then you jump and run full sleep to the nearest building you can reach. Locked. You don't waste time looking behind you. Your legs full of adrenaline carry you faster than normally possible. You reach a circular building, and it's locked again. But, to your relief you hear the lock click and the door open. A hand reaches out and grabs your pulling you in violently.
Before you can even collect your thoughts you hear the door lock once more. Your eyes open and look around to see a tall man with a welding mask on looking down at you. The man lifts his mask and snarls.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE?" He questioned in a panic "ARE YOU INSANE? DO YOU WANT TO DIE? I-"
"___?" A familiar voice called. You look over your shoulder to meet the face of Beth.
"Beth!" You shout as you push the masked man from you.  Her arms wrapped around you as you met in an embrace. Though, you could not feel her warmth or pressure you could feel her presence.
"Beth... who is this?" Asks a tall tanned man. Before she can answer all the other village children surround you in an embrace also.
"___!" Talo smiles "she is Links girlfriend!" You raise a brow in confusion. Did they really think you and Link were together?
"Ah~ the Link we've heard so much about." The tall man bellowed. You nodded. It would make sense for them to tell him about Link, after all he is the most brave, empowering, and inspirational person you had ever met.
"Yes, is he here?" You asked excited. But, when no one answered you it was obviously he wasn't. You sigh in disappointment.
"He will come." Talo assures you. A small smile inches on your face.
"I must find him." You effused.
"You can't!" Screeched the masked man with wild eyes "those m-m-monsters! They will kill you!"
You protested "He would do the same for me."
"R-Renado!" The man whines looking for support. The tall man named Renado looks down at you interested.
"___..." he says calmly "you love this man, I can tell" your cheeks lit up bright pink, but you did not challenge his statement. He smiles gently "then go."
"Huh!?" Everybody gasps.
"Renado!" The masked man scowls "she will die!"
"Barnes" Renado silences him "in times of trial love overcomes fear. It overcomes all." He looks back down at you "if this man would do the same for you, then go."
"I will. Thank you for the encouragement." You smiled "but, where could he be?" You ask
"The twilight has engulfed this land all the way to the Zora's domain. Link could be anywhere in between" he informs you.
"I tried to enter through castle town, but it's not possible unless one of those beasts lets your through" you explained causing the man named Barnes to shiver.
"Why don't you stay here one night, girl? The demons and that boy can wait a few more hours. Especially if he is as strong as you all claim." He scoffs. The room fell silent for a moment.
"It will give you time to figure out a plan" Renado surprisingly agreed. It was a tough point to argue, considering you are either faced with death by those demons, or being locked outside the twilight realm and this all meaning nothing. Begrudgingly you nodded.

That night you sat and talked with Beth about all the kids had been through. She told you they were taken by the same goblins that killed your mother, but there was a much larger fatter one that came mounted on a boar. He looked to be there king. She also informed you Ilia was taken separately, and she didn't know where. You look down at your bodiless soul. The tears that wanted to so desperately form did not. But, the sadness was all there.
All throughout the night you heard those monsters thumping around outside. You could not sleep. No one could. You souls were doomed to listen to the threat of your very death outside the cement walls. You could not feel it, but you knew the ground was cold. Just like everything else had been lately for you.
Morning came. You were no closer to an answer how to enter the twilight through Castle Town. It seemed that your best bet would be facing the twilight in Kakariko Village then heading to the open Hyrule Field again. With just a sword this would prove difficult, but necessary. Link had been gone for more than a week now. It is strange to think he's out there in the world alone. What if he is hurt? What if he needs help?
"Beth" you said firmly. Your feet found the ground and you stood up taller than usual. She raises her brow at your confidence.
"You're leaving now" she states rather than asks. Sadness in her tone.
"I will be back. As will Link. And, we will save you all." You meant your words. You and Link would save the world together.
"Take this map" Renado orders as he places the paper in your hand "go here first" he points to a bridge that leads into castle town. You nod.
"What are ya gonna do about those monsters, huh?" Asks Barnes, less fretful than normal. You look out the window to see them stationed at the entry you came in. Then you look over to your right to see another entrance you can leave from.
"I'll have to outrun them." You state. All the children gathered around as you head for the door.
"Good luck!" Talo cheers in encouragement.
"Don't die." Malo adds unamused as always.
"Thank you, and I won't." You give them all one last goodbye. Your rest your hand on the door giving yourself one moment to prepare. Then you open and run.
Instantly the monsters turn to your direction and head for you as fast as possible. You knew if you made it out of the twilight and headed far enough away from it's entrance you would be free. Your feet pick up pace as you speed out the void. The monsters were about 20 feet away from you, and you about 30 feet from the field. You duck as one swings it's giant hand out, almost clipping you. You stumble on your feet slightly but keep your balance. 30 feet turned to 20, and then to 10. One monster swings it's hand as you swerve out of the way. The ground beside you was obliterated. Once you were almost out you slid down on the ground, scratching yourself up in the process, but also freeing yourself from the twilight. Instantly the monsters hands slip out into the normal world and try to grab you. You twist and turn and crawl your way backwards till you were completely out of reach. You fall down to your back and let out a huge breath of relief. After a few moments your breath was caught and you were back on your feet.
Relief actually couldn't begin to describe the feeling you felt at the moment. Having your body back was amazing. You feel yourself for just a moment to take it all in and make it more real.
You lift your head and see a grass whistle. You instantly think of Epona. You reach out and rip the grass from its stem and whistle the melody you and Link created and she knew all too well. You heard her neigh. She was much closer than you'd imagined her to be. She must have waited here for you. You turn to see her tuning towards you, but something was in her back. It was green, and obviously a person. As she grew closer the man lifted his face. You dropped the grass whistle.

Link.