t h i r t e e n

"Alright chaps, Banbury Toasts!"

Harry motions for me to stand up mid drink as Guy calls out. I look at him confused at what is about to happen. Though most of the night has been a surprise so far.

"While we're still upright," Guy finishes.

I give Miles a confused look as well hoping he'll have some intel but he shrugs. All of the boys get up as well, pushing Miles, Alistair, and I in the front.

"What, what is it?" I ask anyone who will listen.

Hugo catches me and rubs my shoulder most likely to steady me considering how much alcohol has hit my system.

"It's just a game, come on."

His answer makes me feel better, knowing a little of what I am in for. The guys crowd around each other, yelling different things at themselves.

"Excuse me, I'm in charge!"

Guy attempts to yell over them but fails. They all just skip around each other some more, the volume of their voices never diminishing. I can tell Guy is getting fed up with it.

"Quiet!"

The whole room goes silent and it causes me to giggle. Guy lines the three of us up in front of the fireplace, with our backs facing it.

"Okay, grasshoppers, here are the rules." Guy starts. "If the word means new person or some sort of beginner, you take a shot. Best of five."

I hold up my hand and everyone groans, making me laugh.

"You lot aren't wearing six inch heels so shut it," I argue, pulling them off and throwing them to the side.

I motion for the game to begin and the guys start humming. Guy throws his hands out and they bang on a pan before Guy says the word.

"Abecedarian!"

We all take a second before we run over to the fireplace and take our shots.

"Ryle's advantage!" Dimitri yells.

The guys try to comfort me and Miles as we get back in position. I shove them away and prepare myself to stay focused for the next round.

Again the do their humming and hitting the pan before Guy calls out another word.

"Novitiate!"

Again we run to the fireplace and throw back the shots as quickly as possible. This time, Miles wins and I throw my head back in frustration. Harry rubs my back and kisses my right shoulder to comfort me. I can't help but notice how narrow Miles eyes get when he sees it.

We start another round as the guys hum. This time I'm determined to get a point, that'll make us tied. That will give me a chance to win.

"Incipientium!"

I rush over to the fireplace and take my shot as fast as possible, hoping it's enough.

"Winnie gets the point!" Dimitri yells.

I cheer to myself before getting back in place for the last round. I shake the nerves away and keep my eyes closed, ready for the next word.

"Catechumen!"

One last time, I run over to the fireplace and take the last shot of the game.

"Winifred! We have a winner!"

I jump in excitement and Harry rushes over to me, picking me up and spinning me around. He puts me down and Hugo grabs a hold of me.

Slowly, they start dressing me up in a vintage Riot Club suit. I laugh as they finish the look with a silver wig.

"Raise your glasses, to Lord Riot and the dead members."

"Dead members!" We all shout before taking yet another shot.

We turn to Ryle, who is slumped on the sitting sofa. Clearly he is a very sore loser. But we cheer his name anyway, making him take the shot as well. The room erupts as we jump around triumphantly.

The last thing I see before we sit down again is Alistair glaring at me.

• § • § •

"Once more unto the drink, dear friends. Once more! And give a roar for all our English drunk. On, on you noblest Riot, whose blood is fed from Vodka 80 proof! Be envy now to clubs of weaker blood. And teach the how to drink. The game's afoot! Pour out your spirits and with glasses charged, cry 'God for Harry, Dimitri, and Alistair. Toby, Edward, and Milo. Hugo, Guy, George, and Winifred!'"

Drunkenly, I smile as Hugo gives his poetic speech.

I look around the room as he calls out each members name and I can't help but be grateful for what I'm apart of.

As he finished we all hoot in encouragement, drinking yet another glass of champagne.

Our moment is interrupted as the owner walks in again, a massive plate of meat in hand.

"Gentlemen, this is a 10 bird roast," Guy explains as he sets in in the table.

I see the owner try to stop our president. He whispers something about how it's not actually ten but no one seems to pay attention. After a few minutes of attempting to get out what he has to say, he gives up and asks who wants to do the honors.

Miles stands up and pulls out his sword saying, "Why don't I do it with this?"

I laugh as Alistair rolls his eyes in envy.

The owner removes himself from the room as the waitress from earlier brings out two dishes on toast potatoes.

"Oh, I love a roast potato!"