Chapter 14 - Running Away

Caleb Lemiere

"She's not mine, Chase. You need to ask her not me." I said and that came out from my mouth uncontrolled. Her eyes widen when she heard what I said. I immediately regreted it. After that she left with Chase and Cameron sighed.

"You really don't want to be with her huh?" Cameron asked.

"I'm not capable of that." I answered.

"Not capable of what? Making her happy?" He asked and I turned to him sighing.

"It's complicated."

"Listen dude.. fighting in a relationship is a part of that journey and of course you made mistake in a past but if you promise that you won't repeat it again then go for it." Cameron said as he patted my shoulder.

"Besides.. It's better for me not to hurt her." I said truthfully.

"Well congratulations because you just hurt her earlier." The food arrived and I stared at it blankly. We ate and got back to the office. I sat inside my office looking out the window.

I shouldn't have comeback to New York.

That's the first thought that came into my mind. I should've stayed there. Coming back here was a bad decision. I thought I already moved on but once I saw Serena again. The wall around my heart crumble just seeing her.

I don't want to hurt her again. I don't wantnto repeat the same mistake again. I know I'm not a teenager anymore but.. still I don't want to make mistake.

"Caleb.." I turned to see my dad standing beside my chair flicking his fingers in front me. I got up immediately and he chuckled.

"What were you thinking?" He asked and I just shook my head.

"What's wrong, dad?" I asked.

"How's the meeting?" He asked.

"Oh.. it was great, I think we will do good." I said and he nodded.

"What's on your mind, son?"

"Nothing." I lied.

"Okay then.. see you at dinner." He said as he turned his body.

"Dad.." I called him and he turned his head to me.

"I think.. I made a mistake by coming here again." I said and my dad gestured me to follow him. I followed him to go to his office. He gestured me to sit down and he took out a bottle of wine from a secret drawer.

"Mom won't like it if she finds out that you're daylight drinking." I chuckled and he shook his head as he poured some for me.

"Why do you think that coming here is a mistake?" He asked as he raised his glass and waiting for me to sip my wine.

"I don't know. My relationship with Serena isn't getting better, no matter how hard I try to be.. normal." I said after sipping the wine.

"Then let me ask you something.. why did you leave America in the first place?" He asked.

"I want to give her space, maybe.. heal our own hearts and move on.." I said in a careful tone.

"No.. you're running away." He said simply and I sighed.

"You're running away with the thoughts that she will have her heart heal and then move on.. and maybe she will easily forgive you, once you comeback here again." I was speechless.

"Caleb, you're a one smartass kids but sometimes you're quite clueless." My dad pointed his finger at me and I nodded.

"Leaving won't change a thing. You're just piling it up, that's why you're not happy and she's not happy. Your story and hers still not finish. I let you go because it's your decision, you think you can solve this alone but it's a game of two. You won't be able to solve it alone, Caleb."

"When she found out that you left America, she wasn't in a great state. She's confuse, just like you. She distracted herself with work even sometimes she slept with a man or two but people around her notice that she's a robot. It's like she was programmed to live."

"I don't want to repeat the same mistake, dad. Coming back here made it more worse." I ran my hands through my hair.

"So you really don't want to be with Serena again?" He asked and I still can't answer that.

"Matthew Lemiere! Why are you drinking in daylight?!" My mom bursted angrily when she saw me and my dad drinking wine.

"Baby.. I can explain."

"I told you to reduce alcohol! I swear I will find that secret drawer where you hide your wine!" My mom hissed as she took the bottle of wine. She turned to me glaring too and I looked away.

"Oh well you look at that.. I have a meeting." My dad slipped away from my mom before she can kill him. My dad left the office and my mom sat on the chair where my dad sat earlier.

"Is something wrong, Caleb? Why are you drinking?" She asked.

"Dad was just giving me some advice." I said and my mom looked at me sadly.

"Is something bothering you?" She asked in a worried tone.

"I'm fine. I was just.. having a lot of thoughts in my head." I said and sighed. I looked at the glass of wine blankly.

"Mom.. what if I go back to Canada?" I asked in a careful tone. I know my mom was sad with the idea but I want to hear her thoughts.

"5 years is enough Caleb. You left a lot of people here just to be alone. We were waiting for you to comeback here and you left a big hole in our hearts by moving there." My mom said in sad tone.

"Sorry mom."

"Well.. I'm fine since I always visit you once in a month but you should know how Serena feels."

"She was shocked when she heard you already left the country. She didn't take the fact quite well, Caleb. She's the one who hurt the most." My mom said and I sighed.

"If you think she got better, you're wrong." She added.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"You're not a teenager anymore, we all respect your decision and we can't just tell you about Serena's condition. She doesn't even tell a soul about her condition but her parents notice it."

"What should I do know?"

"The question is quite simple, Caleb. Do you love her and want to be with her? If yes, then fix it. If you don't want it, then make it clear by talking to her. Running away from your problem won't solve anything."