Chapter 1: The Arrival

"Ubbe! Hvitserk!" Ivar decided to warn everyone in Kattegat that he'd found you, crawling right by your side, like you were a prize for him to be proud of finding. "Look what I just found when I was looking around!"

"(Y/N)!" Ubbe came first, touching your face with both of his hands before he laid his forehead on yours.

You still remember when he had to lower his head to do the same thing. Now, he still has to lean lower, but you're taller than when you've left for to your adventures around the kingdoms.

You were trying to find your own path since you have been raised near the youngest sons of the legend, your king. It is hard to be near the son's of Ragnar and not want to end up being only one of their wives. But now you have heard about the terrible fate of your king and the plans of his sons of avenging him at England, you finally decided to come back to see the brothers and to help them on their quest, as a way to say "thank you" and "goodbye" to your godfather.

Your father had died on a raid, serving theirs and in honor of his memory, your king has raised you with his sons. It is not like he was a father for you, just the same as he wasn't a father even to his own children, but you've always seen Aslaug, your queen, as a benevolent mother for receiving you in her house, Ragnar was kinda godfather to you and all of his sons you have always seen like your own brothers. Of course, knowing they're not truly your blood kindred, you couldn't deny the fact that the time has done well for them. Especially to Hvitserk and Ubbe, the latter whom you remember had no beard when you've left.

"Look who's just looking like your father..." you put your fingers into his beard, caressing his face with sweetness "Missed you, brother."

He closed his eyes at the mention of his father and you did the same. But a playful tone cut off your sad moment, calling your attention to behind you.

"Oh, so there is no missing hugs and kisses for me? I'll remember that when you become hungry at night and come into my room searching for some of my snacks!"

Ubbe just laughs at the jealous tone of his brother's words, but you turned to the source of the playful voice and found a beautiful smile looking at you.

"Hello, handsome" You start, opening your arms wide to receive Hvitserk between them in a warm and long hug. "Of course I missed you too."

"Of course you did. You're thin now. Nobody was giving you food properly!" he laughs, holding your face into his fingers, affectionately "Spend some more time with me and we can handle it, smukke," he said, remembering the old name he was used to calling you.

But now it made some shivers come down onto your spine. He wasn't that beautiful when he was younger. And his voice wasn't so smooth calling you that way.