Chapter 9: Falling to Pieces

"My suggestion is that we GO back North, to where we defeated Aelle

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"My suggestion is that we GO back North, to where we defeated Aelle. We should establish a permanent camp, as you say, but near the coast, from where we can raid wherever we want" said Ivar.

"Our father's dream was that we wouldn't be just raiders. That we would behave in a different way" said Ubbe.

Hvitserk was silently observing once again, quiet as you were, but for a different reason. He was studying both sides of that arguing. You already knew who was going to win.

Since what happened, you were silently listening to Ivar's strategies and Ubbe's appeals for claiming the land and settle down. A discussion already solved in your mind.

You just couldn't understand why everyone insisted on try to prevent Ivar to do what he would do with or without permission.

"No... It would seem like a withdrawal" Ubbe denied Ivar's plans and you saw, at that moment, he wasn't even paying true attention to what Ivar was saying.

"It is tactical, Ubbe." You said, causing them all to look at you "We'll go back to the coast, where we are near the sea, closest to our homelands and not surrendered by enemies as we will be if we settle here, in the middle of the country, as you want. Were you even listening to what Ivar was saying all this time? Do you even listen to each other?" you finished, getting up "We should go York. Is the town you want to raid, isn't it, Ivar?"

Your aggressive tone didn't prevent his smile.

"Exactly. It is..."

"Built on a major river, close to the sea and is built in a stronghold shape. We'll be able to settle your damn farming camps with walls to protect it, a constant flow of water that can't be cut and a secure connection with our own markets to drain the production. Also, if you stop to tie his elbows on yours, Ubbe, Ivar will be able to go wherever he wants with the damn army and expand, raid, do whatever he wants to do. I agree we should go York, not because Ivar is saying it, but because is the smarter plan and you would have seen it if you weren't so afraid to let Ivar walk with his own feet, forgiving me the idiot pun" you said, causing Ivar to frown and Ubbe to look directly to you.

He was so pissed off. But you didn't know if he was pissed with your agreement on Ivar's plan or on his freedom to follow his own path.

"If he wants to raid, let him go, Ubbe. It doesn't mean you have to go with him. Or any of us." you dared to sink your fingers on the wound that nobody wanted to touch in that table and Ubbe clenched his teeth.

"It is not like..."

"He is already, Ubbe. You think he is not able to lead this army, but he is already doing it. The men respect his mental ability as a strategist more than his own brother is doing and want you or not, they will follow Ivar. Sooner or later he will follow his own path. And his path is to battle. Deal with it Ubbe." you finished with harsh words that caused him to smile annoyed, agreeing with the plan unwillingly and leaving the tent.