Chapter 11: Falling Inside the Black

The subsequent days were strange. Without Ubbe's presence, Ivar was constantly cocky and sometimes, intractable. You knew he had discovered something about the galleries under the city, but he was dividing nothing with you and Hvitserk. He simply stopped treating any of you as his family, starting to plan and decide by himself his next steps with the army which was blindly following his leadership.

Despite the arrogance of your little brother, Hvitserk and you already had noticed Saxons' plan for that place: after the third hunting party that didn't come back, you two realized they were isolating the city, besieging the place in order to kill you of starvation or with the diseases that were already spreading on the place.

Instead of you, Hvitserk were more worried. You had already understood Ivar's behavior and were decided to follow your path wherever it was: you would help him to establish the city or stay there and look at him till he wants to give you your tasks. But as soon as York was recovered by the Saxons' or taken by your army, you would leave. Therefore, you weren't really concerned with battle plans or the Saxon Army strategies. You only wanted them to solve it as soon as possible.

However, Hvitserk was really bothered with Ivar's silence and in that lunch, seeing his brother eating, drinking and acting like nothing was happening was the last drop he could handle.

"So, the hunting party did not return today," he said.

His plate was empty. You were emptying yours while Ivar seemed not satisfied, eating like there is not a lack of food around the men, ignoring Hvitserk completely.

But Hvitserk was decided to call his attention.

"I said the hunting..."

"I've heard what you said," Ivar said, causing you to sight, disgusted and let go the rib bone you were eating. That attitude was already annoying you.

Hvitserk sighed, continuing. His patience was growing better and stronger than yours.

"We are almost out of food. Ad there is sickness in the town. What are we going to do? We have to do something. The Saxons are in their own country. They can be reinforced and grow stronger, while every day we just grow weaker..."

"What are you really saying, huh, brother?" Ivar cut him finally taking your glare. "That I was wrong not to negotiate with the Saxons and Ubbe was right?"

That tone...

All that arrogant behavior was causing your blood to boil inside your veins. Ivar had grown stronger but same way Ubbe didn't have the right to treat him like an incapable crippled, he didn't have the right to start treating you and Hvitserk as you were disposable pawns in his Hnefatafl game. You were his sister, Hvitserk was his older brother! He might be the leader of that fucking army, but he was still younger than you both and owes you two some respect.