Chapter 12: Peace is a Dirty Word

Pregnant.

You took three months to realize and really believe it was happening.

After all, you and Hvitserk had gone to the North of Norway and as you said, Hvitserk found an amazing reception so as you, since the kingdom you chose were in debt with your work as a shieldmaiden defending their King. Ulgn were loyal to Ragnar before his sons and kept his loyalty oaths, giving you and Hvitserk the proper treatment the third prince of Kattegat deserved in his town.

You established in a medium house with a good view from the camps and not so far from the city. Hvitserk used his money from England to buy you a pair of slaves, some animals, seeds and the furniture of the house and King Ulgn invited him to work by his side organizing raids and helping him as a counselor, receiving a part of the raids' loot. You chose a simple life even the money Hvitserk was gaining was enough for you two to live in a palace.

And now after six months of happiness, you had visited the healers of the city and were sure about your pregnancy.

You came home with teary eyes and a smile. Torin, the slave girl that helped with your home chores, received you worried about your tears but smiled when you told her the good news. You asked Algur, the slave man Hvitserk brought you, to kill one of your lambs and Torin to help you to make a special dinner to receive Hvitserk this night. When he came back you two were finishing to set the table.

"Did I missed something, love?" he said, twisted face in a doubt expression that made you giggle.

Torin smiled at you before living and you pulled the chair for him, smiling sweetly.

"No. It is just a special day," you said "Eat. We made it for you, love"

He raised an eyebrow starting to serve himself and you could laugh at his expression through the entire dinner. Every time he tasted something good, his eyebrow went higher in his face, denouncing to you that he was trying mentally to remember what the fuck he forgot that could make that day so special.

In the end, he sighed, frustrated and defeated.

"I'm sorry," he said looking at you "I can't remember..."

It was impossible not to chuckle.

"There is nothing for you to remember, Hvitserk," you got up with a bright smile, standing beside him while he was turning to look at you straight.

"So what?" he asked confused and then you took his hands, placing it over your lightly swollen belly, observing while his fingers were feeling the rounded form, sliding slowly. His eyes widened and he looked at you.

"Yes," your voice sounded like music into his ears "I'm with your child, Hvitserk Lothbrook".

Your eyes were far away on the horizon, looking to where Kattegat was supposed to be now. Your fingers sliding over the high swollen belly you had after seven months of a pregnancy that was strange and different of what you were imagining.

 Your fingers sliding over the high swollen belly you had after seven months of a pregnancy that was strange and different of what you were imagining