Chapter 11

When she realized that what she had been told was a lie, Lucas showed up on the tape. Jolene had to watch as he tortured her. He beat her; throwing her around before finally dragging her unconscious body to the bed... where he took advantage of her. Tears filled Jolene's eyes as it came back to her. She wanted out of the mines because she was being held there by Lucas. He was hurting her, he made her kill people. But she wasn't sure who Zoe was, or what she had to do with all of this. She looked over at her with glistening eyes.

Her claws and tail were completely gone, only her fangs remained, but that wasn't noticeable unless she opened her mouth. She was calm now, and full of hate and sadness. Zoe sighed, rubbing her right arm.

"I'm sorry." She said to Jolene.

"I wish I had known sooner, I would've had ya outta there in no time." She told her. Jolene shook her head.

"I still don't know who the hell ya are." She said. Zoe nodded and slid a book from the end of the table over and opened it. She flipped through it, pictures flashing briefly in front of Jolene, too quick for her to realize what they were. Eventually, Zoe stopped on a page that was full of pictures. She pointed to a picture with two young girls in it.

"We were friends, Jolene. We've known each other since forever." She explained. Jolene took the book from Zoe and looked at the pictures, flipping through each page slowly as she pieced together her past.

"It's always been you me and Lucas. Things've changed since then." Zoe told her, and she nodded slowly. She continued to thumb through the scrapbook, her chest tightening as she realized that he was, indeed, lying to her.

Zoe moved away from her, trying to get some distance in just in case she didn't believe her. She sniffled and wiped her tears away. She was taken advantage of, both when she knew she was taken advantage of, and when she didn't. She never felt anything for Lucas, except maybe a platonic love... but even then it was lacking.

But then she'd look at Zoe and she'd see, no, she'd realize what she was missing. She saw her, and despite the scared look on her face, she could see why she wanted to send the video to her in the first place. She looked tired, but she didn't have that same, unnerving look that Lucas had. She looked as if she'd seen a lot, she looked like a survivor.

Jolene kept her hand on the page, staring at Zoe with a small smile on her pale lips. She had calmed herself to the point that even the fangs were gone by that point. Zoe still watched her, weary of her intentions. After all, she was sent there to kill her, and Zoe wasn't completely sure if the brainwashing actually wore off. Jolene's eyes happily glowed, gleaming as tears filled them.

"I think I remember this." She said to Zoe. Zoe nodded slowly.

"It's fuzzy, but it's there." She continued. Zoe's hands shook as she slowly moved her arms toward the scrapbook. Her fingers closed around it, and she quickly snatched it away. Jolene watched her and felt guilt bubble up from within her. She realized how much she scared Zoe.

"That's good." Zoe began. Jolene shook her head.

"I'm so sorry, Zoe."

"It's fine-."

"No, it's not. He made me like this. He hurt me to get me to mutate, and I know I shoulda known then, but I... he had me, Zo. He had me right where he wanted me." Zoe watched as Jolene's hands balled into a fist, her words becoming more and more angry as she spoke. She looked over at the tv, which now showed nothing but static.

"He wanted me to kill ya." She muttered. She stood suddenly, making Zoe jump. She began to pace around the trailer, her hands flying to her tangled locks out of anger and frustration.