Chapter 8

When I woke up, my head was propped up on a pillow as I laid on one of the Williams' large sofas. A man knelt in front of me stroking my cheek gently. I couldn't see his face yet, but he wore an old, tattered military uniform. The cloth of a bandage peaked above his shirt collar. At first, I thought maybe Jamie had gotten injured, but soon the man's face came into view and my heart stopped.

James.

I shot up and couldn't decide whether or not to hug him or to cringe away. "(Y/n), it's me!" he said softly, his words instantly calming my nerves.

"James?" I said, my voice shaking. I reached a hand out to cup his cheek, but hesitated. I was afraid that if I touched him, he may disappear. However, he gently held my hand and brought it to his lips, kissing it gently. At that point I knew that he was real. I leapt forward and wrapped my arms around him tightly, accidentally knocking his cap off .

"James! Oh James it's really you!"

"Yes my dear! I'm here, you have no need to worry anymore!"

"I thought you were gone! When I got that terrible telegram I was heart broken!"

"Sh, sh my love. Let us not speak of that. I returned to you, just as I promised!"

"Yes, you have," I said. I looked at him lovingly, memorizing every detail on his face as if he would disappear at any moment. Noticing my distress, he crashed his soft lips into mine and gently tangled his fingers in my (h/l) (h/c) hair. I kissed him back and ran my fingers through his tousled locks, savoring every moment we shared in that experience. He moaned lightly into our kiss and I felt something spark in me. Suddenly, I tore away, and James whined a bit.

"Jamie doesn't know you're alive yet!" I gasped.

"You've met Jamie?"

"Yes, he brought me some of your things to remember you by. Including your art supplies and cologne."

James smiled and nuzzled his face into the crook of my neck, running his nose along the side of my neck. "So that's why you smell faintly like me," he said, kissing my neck gently.

"Yes, I suppose so," I laughed lightly. He took a deep breath in and said I smelled like lemon grass and sleep. I giggled, not mentioning that I hadn't gotten much sleep since I heard that he had died.

"I hope that's a good thing!" I teased.

"It's a wonderful thing."

I grinned and kissed him a gain, earning a chuckle. "You taste like peaches!" James commented heartily.

"Also a good thing?"

"Of course!"

I laughed and he kissed me again, a little bit longer this time. We stayed like that for what felt like an eternity, just sitting on the floor with each other. After a while, we heard voices from down the hall approaching us and we stood up, James' hand resting lightly on my waist.

"What are you talking about? Who's come back?" we heard a voice say. Mistress Elizabeth, Master John, Alfred, and little Jonathan rounded the corner and entered the room. Mistress Elizabeth stopped as soon as she saw us, her eyes widened and her mouth agape. Master John was surprised as well, and stood gawking behind his wife. Jonathan and Alfred were grinning and Jonathan quickly ran over and I picked up the small boy.

"Jonathan you remember James, right?" I said. He nodded enthusiastically and James laughed, then shook his small hand.

"It's good to see you again," me fiancé said. Jonathan giggled and said, "You're (y/n)'s knight!"