Chapter 22

Please trust me the God of Mischief, the Lord of Lies had begged. Begged. It was his tone, his worry, his insistence, his begging which had you creating an illusion spell over the pendant. You weren't going to take it off, you never did, but the illusion would fool everyone. Thor would be able to see the illusion, but he couldn't see through it.

Loki breathed a sigh of relief that you had listened to him. "Thank you, witchling. I swear we will show Thor and the three of us will figure this out together after the party. We will explain it then. Believe me, we do not want Thor making a big deal about this now. There are too many strangers," he added when he saw your confused expression. Whatever was going on was going to get Thor much louder than usual and probably upset.

"I'm holding you to that, Trickster," you warned him softly, but firmly. He inclined his head, accepting your words and you threat that there would be trouble if he didn't keep to his word. You knew it had to be major if Loki actually wanted Thor to be in the conversation.

For now you would let the matter go.

For now.

"Thank you for the wonderful surprise, darling." Loki drastically changed the subject as you walked off of the dance floor, intending to make it to the punch bowl.

"I'm glad you were pleased. Thor said you like dancing."

"Y/N, good job taking care of that creep earlier," Nat said from behind you. She was the one who had taught you and was obviously pleased to see that her work teaching you had paid off. "I would have gone with a leg grapple myself..."

You laughed at that. "You always go for the leg grapple. I wasn't even going to think about attempting that in a dress. He shouldn't have touched me if he didn't want his arm broken," you added with a grin. Nat nodded and gave you a high five before she went to go save Clint from admiring ladies.

"Did you like your surprise, Brother?" Thor asked loudly. You sighed heavily. You were never going to make it to the punch bowl at this rate.

"Very much so," Loki replied, actually pleasantly to his brother for once. "It was kind of you to help my lady prepare for it." Loki wrapped an arm around you and kissed the top of your head.

"It was my idea..." Thor grumbled. That's why Loki was being so pleasant. He was giving you credit for Thor's plan. You couldn't help giggling at their silliness. Thor gave your necklace too long of a look. "Lady Y/N?" he asked, then glared at Loki.

"Thor, your brother is a perfect gentleman and would never hurt me. Stop glaring at him. My necklace broke and I didn't feel like going upstairs to get a different one, so I used an illusion since only you, Loki, and maybe Doctor Strange can even see that it's an illusion," you lied quickly pulling a defensive tone into your voice to sell the story. Thor accepted it, thankfully. He was also distracted when Jane and Darcy arrived at the party and went to go greet them excitedly.

"I was going to ask before we got distracted by your brother," you said to Loki as you finally got back on track with making it back to where the punch lived. "How did that creep get out of here without you cursing him, or killing him?"

"Who is to say he did?" Loki replied pleasantly, casually.

"What'd you do?" you asked him. You hadn't noticed him doing anything to the creep, but you had been distracted breaking the guy's arm.

"He will live," Loki answered.

"That's not what I asked," you grumbled at him.

"He hurt what is mine," Loki protested possessively, holding you more tightly to him. You sighed. You knew about his possessive streak, but didn't see it too often and kept... not forgetting about it, but...neglecting to keep it in the forefront of your mind. You decided it was safer to drop the subject before he got more riled.