twenty two

"You can keep ignoring the situation, Aubrey

"You can keep ignoring the situation, Aubrey." Mariah groans after I throw myself on to the couch.

"It's been a week." She adds.

"You know he misses you." Heath speaks up.

Mariah spilled that we were dating to Heath, so now he knows the whole situation.

"He has a funny way of showing it." I respond, stuffing my face into a nearby pillow.

He hasn't tried to contact me at all. I'm starting to loose hope.

"You did ask him for space." She corrects me.

"Well, that was before we officially broke up. You would think that he'd feel bad or at least attempt to call me." I defend myself.

"Why don't you try to talk to him first?" Heath suggests, earning a glare from Mariah and I.

"David isn't the main priority. I need to find an apartment." I change the subject of conversation.

We sit in silence, thinking about ways to solve my issue.

"Oh, wait! Isn't Corinna looking for a roommate?" Mariah asks Heath.

"You're right! I totally forgot." Heath laughs. Mariah smiles at his answer.

"Finally, some good news." I sigh in relief, pulling up Corinna's contact in my phone.

"Call her!" Mariah insists. I motion for her to be quiet while I press the call button.

"Hello?" She picks up.

"Hi, this is Aubrey. We've met a couple times. I'm David's friend." I explain, cringing at the last sentence.

"Oh! Hi, Aubrey! What can I do for you?" She giggles.

Corinna is such a nice person, I don't know why we haven't become friends yet.

"I heard that you were looking for a roommate," I start.

She says yes, wanting me to continue.

"I was wondering if I could come look at the apartment? You know, to check it out before we make anything official." I manage to nervously say.

"Yea, of course! I literally can't find anyone who needs to move. I'm glad you called." I can feel her smile through to phone.

"Great! When could I come over?" I ask.

"How about later today? I'm out right now with Carl, but I'll be home around five-ish." Corinna offers.

"That works! I'll see you later." I say goodbye and hang up.

"We're making progress!" I jump up and cheer.

Both of them get excited with me.

Likely because they will get their house to themselves again.

*skip to meeting up with Corinna*

I ring the doorbell to the apartment I am standing outside of.

"Coming!" I hear her shout from inside.

Shortly after, the door is ripped open.

"Hello!" She greets me with a big smile on her face.

"Hi! Thanks for letting me come over on such short notice." I kindly thank her.

"It's cool, I was just planning on staying in all night anyways." She chuckles.

She starts to guide me around while Carl, her dog, follows us.

I bend down and pet him after getting permission from Corinna.

We continue the small tour. She shows me the room that would be mine.

Luckily, it has a couple pieces of the staple furniture. A bed, side table, desk, and a few other random items.

There is a bathroom attached to it, which would provide me with more privacy.

We move on to the spacious living room, small kitchen, and the smaller spare room.

The apartment is big and absolutely gorgeous. She has everything fully decorated.

We move on to discuss the rent and the other boring stuff.

I make sure to tell her that this is new for me. She is very understanding and explains everything.

This is a big step, but I think I'm ready.

I am decently stable money-wise. I can finally support myself.

This place is close enough to work that I can walk there.

No more wasting money on Ubers. Even though Mariah will pick me up, I like having a back up plan.

I sign the paperwork and do all the boring adult-stuff with her.

I can tell Corinna is going to be a great roommate and friend.

We end up hanging out for the rest of the night.

Watching movies with Corinna and playing with Carl did cheer me up a little about the whole David situation.

I know that I'm going to talk to him eventually. Once I have everything else in my life at a normal pace, I will go see him.

"It's getting late, I think I'm going to get an Uber back to Heath and Mariah's. I'll move my stuff over tomorrow." I tell her as I order my Uber.

We both get up and walk to the door. She hands me a set of keys for the apartment.

"I'm so excited to have you move in. It gets awfully boring around here by ourselves." She says, referring to her and her dog.

I agree with her, giving her a hug.

"See you tomorrow." I smile before walking out the door.

The Uber takes me to my destination.

I run into the house with a big smile on my face.

"Guess who's got a roommate?" I ask the couple sitting at their kitchen table, shaking my keys.

"No way!" Mariah jumps up and wraps me in a hug.

(A/N) THREE MORE CHAPTERS AND THE STORY IS OVER!! AHH! My gifs aren't working for some reason but I'll fix them another time lol.