F i v e

He gives me a nod, biting into his sandwich and chews. "Right, as you do for me so I'll let you go first since it's only fair."

After taking another spoonful of the smooth and creamy soup I look up at him with hard eyes deciding to get straight to it. "Did you call me trashy behind my back?"

Jake had just started to sip on his drink and slightly chokes on it, setting the cup back down rather roughly and I watch as the napkin underneath soaks up the condensation. "What the hell? No of course not. Why would you even think something like that?"

Guilt immediately floods through me and I find myself embarrassed to answer. I should have known better, he had never given me  reason to think otherwise. Then again, we are in high school and everyone talks."Um, someone told me you did."

He rolls his eyes, his lips moving softly as if he were talking to himself and he shakes his head. "It was Maci right?" My silence was the only answer he needs and he curses under his breath. "Serena, whatever she's told you is not true. I promise. I would never say something like that regardless, especially about you. I mean I hardly even know you that well so I don't even know how I could say that."

Sighing, I look down at the table sheepishly and can't help but notice the soft jazz music that plays overhead from the speaker. 

Looking up, I press my lips together, "Yeah I should have known better I guess," I say ashamed. "It's just that you guys hang out at school and what not and--as you said--we hardly know each other so I wasn't sure if you were the type of guy who would say something like that. I mean I wouldn't blame you after the diner, so," I finish, trailing off.

He nods, understanding where I was coming from. "I know it may not seem like it but I'm definitely not like that. Really, the only reason why she is ever around me is because of Danny and Logan."

I take another bite of my soup, this time ripping off a piece of the bread bowl and dunking it, sopping up the tangy sweet goodness before taking a bite. "Okay I believe you. Sorry."

Jake gives me a small smile, waving me off. "Don't worry about it." 

We take a moment to chew our food before continuing. "My turn?" he asks and I nod, raising an eyebrow in amusement. "Did you hit her in the hallway today? At lunch she said you did," he states before leaving in slightly. "Don't worry, I didn't believe her," he says an octave lower.

I crack a smile before shaking my head. "Unfortunately no although I wanted to. She deserves nothing less," I answer, trying to not get angry once again about the situation. "I just walked by and my shoulder kinda bumped her because she was trying to block me in by my locker. That's why I was late to lunch."

"What's her deal with you?" Jake asks before taking a large bite of his sandwich. The crispy bacon and lettuce crunches and I make a mental note to try that the next time I come here.

Shrugging, I lift my hands into the air dumbfounded. "I really have no clue. I mean I was never her favorite person to begin with and since I've come back it's like she has it out for me. A lot of people and teachers think she is the sweet, caring, and hardworking student she pretends to be when in reality..." I trail, not needed to finish the sentence.

He takes a second to respond, chewing the last bite of his food before wiping his hands on his jeans. "Well she doesn't have me fooled. My old school was filled with girls like that and I've learned to steer clear. Lesson learned the hard way."

I begin wondering what his old high school was like, wondering what friends he had left behind, and most of all what lesson he had apparently learned. "So what part of Florida did you move from?" I ask, dunking another chunk of bread into the soup.