E l e v e n

I looked at myself in the mirror somewhat admiring my reflection. I wore a lavender lace dress that reached my mid-thigh, a pair of deep brown sandals and a pair of diamond earrings which I'll admit, were fake. My hair was lightly curled and I had spent about thirty minutes on my makeup so I actually didn't look so bad. For the second time within a matter of 48 hours I felt beautiful and confident all due to Jake Steffey. I couldn't really explain it, but it was a nice reprieve from hiding behind baggy shirts and jeans. I didn't want to draw much attention to myself at school or pretty much anywhere I went but I was slowly becoming the Serena I used to be and it was nice.

I heard our doorbell ring and my heartbeat slowly began to pick up. Aunt Tess must have fallen asleep on the couch because I heard her voice greeting him, telling him to come inside. I quickly put some old lotion I had gotten from PINK on my legs and grabbed my phone before walking down the hallway. I could hear Tess chattering with Jake excitingly and I couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah camping, she didn't ask you yet?" I heard him say. Crap.

"No not yet, I have to say that I'm surprised she agreed to go though," Aunt Tess responded.

He laughed, "She gave me a few conditions naturally," he said and they both laughed. Aunt Tess was just about to say something when I rounded the corner and entered the living room. They both turned to me with a strange look in their eyes. Jake looked me over, starting at my face before lowering his eyes to my feet then quickly back to my face.

Aunt Tess walked a few steps towards me and met me with a big hug, "Serena you look gorgeous!" she exclaimed, placing her hands on my shoulders and holding me out in front of her. "You look like a grown woman for Pete's sake!"

I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Thanks Aunt Tess." I then looked over her shoulder at Jake and noticed he had a small bouquet of tulips in his left hand while the other was shoved in his pocket. "Hey," I greeted and Tess stepped aside.

Jake was always attractive, even if he wore a clown costume I'm sure he'd look striking. But tonight—with his crisp maroon button up shirt with his sleeves rolled up to the crook of his elbow, a pair of slim fitting chinos that were a blue so deep they almost looked black, and a pair of brown leather oxfords while his hair was styled intricately with a part to the left—he looked dangerously handsome. "Hey Carter," he greeted. "You're aunt's right, you look gorgeous."

My cheeks heated up as Aunt Tess squealed, clapping her hands together. If she was exhausted from her shift she really didn't let it show. "Isn't he just the sweetest?! I can see why you're falling for him," she said shamelessly. I shot my eyes at her, embarrassed that she would say something like that out loud. Besides, I wasn't even sure myself if I was "falling" for him so how would she know what I was feeling? I mean sure he was ridiculously handsome and he was sweet and funny and easy to talk to but we were just friends. "Friends that are going on a date tonight," an inner voice countered.

I turned back to Jake, pushing all thoughts away and focused on him. "Thank you Jake, you clean up pretty well yourself," I replied in a light tone. He smirked and handed me the bouquet of tulips that was made of up light yellow flowers. "Wow these are beautiful," I said as I grabbed them before inhaling their scent. "Thank you."

He nodded his head, "You're welcome. I know you liked yellow so when I saw them they reminded me of you so," he said, trailing off.

Aunt Tess clapped again like a five year old, "This is too perfect. Let me take a picture!" she said, reaching for her phone that was on the coffee table.

"Please for the love of God no," I pleaded, but my attempt was futile as Jake slung an arm over my shoulder, pulling me in. The smell of his cologne was enticing and it made me inhale deeply one again. Wow.