T w e n t y-t h r e e

Turning off the water, I step out onto the bathmat and dry myself off. Given how long I was in the shower, I'm unsure if Jake had enough patience to stick around. Not wanting to take chances though, I wrap my towel tightly around me and open the bathroom door.

He sits on the edge of my bed, his head buried in his hands. He's turned on my bedside lamp, casting a warm and comforting glow over my room. When he hears the door creak, he looks up and forces a smile. "Hey," he says in a soft voice. "Feel a little better?"

Do I? I'm no longer having a panic attack like before and the nausea has since passed. I'm still a bit shaken up though so I shrug, "Kinda." He nods and his eyes look me over, but not in a hungry way like Tyler's. It's almost appreciative, like the way one would look at a Monet painting. He quickly tears his eyes away though and I assume he still wishes to be respectful.

I pad over to my dresser by my window and pull out a pair of underwear, some sleeping shorts, and an oversized shirt before returning to the bathroom to change. Once I'm done, I brush my teeth and hair and hang up my towel to dry on the hook behind my door and step out into my room, taking a seat by Jake.

Silence envelopes us, each lost in our own thoughts. Every once in a while I can see him shake his head ever so slightly. Looking over, his lips are pursed and his eyebrows are knitted together in frustration. His usual serene and easy-going nature has been replaced with a side of him I've never seen. The urge to comfort him conquers me, and before I know it I place my hand on the side of his face, forcing him to look at me. Those brown eyes lock into mine and in the dim light, I can see they are moist. Had he been crying while I was in the shower?

Unsure of how to comfort him, I take my thumb and smooth over the spot where his brows are crinkled and they relax. "What are you thinking about?"

He shakes his head and pulls his face away. "I'm afraid that if I tell you won't think of me the same," he says.

I can't help but to let out a small scoff of disbelief "I highly doubt that, Jake."

Letting out an exhale, he leans forward placing his elbows on his knees. "I don't know, I just...I want to find him—both of them—and make them sorry for ever even laying eyes on you," he says, before looking back at me. "How could anyone even imagine doing that to someone? Especially someone like you?" I say nothing though, because what could I say?

He tears his eyes away and looks down at my carpet. "This may sound stupid, because I know we didn't even know each other back then, but in a way I feel like they took you from me if that makes sense. And tonight for example, you were mine and he..." Jake trails off, shaking his head. "If I sound selfish I'm sorry. I just don't know how I should feel I guess."

The words "selfish" and "Jake Carter" could never even exist in my own personal universe. If anything, he is the most selfless person I've ever met. In fact, I find his words somewhat comforting even. "I don't think that's selfish at all. I promise. I'm pretty lucky to even have someone care about me that much honestly—not many girls do."

Jake laughs once and shrugs before sitting up straight and a yawn escapes my lips. Crying—along with everything else—has exhausted me. Looking at my clock, it's a little after one in the morning. Sleep is inevitable, but with it will come nightmares I will not be able to elude.

"Tired?" Jake asks me, this time with a genuine smile.

Nodding, I stand up and slide into bed, pulling my plush comforter up to my chin. He leans over and softly places a kiss on my forehead and a weird yet pleasurable shiver shoots down my right arm. When he stands up to leave, I quickly reach out and grab the tail of his shirt. "Will you stay with me tonight?" I ask, "I don't want to be alone."