T w e n t y-s e ve n

The deep base of the music vibrates throughout the house, causing my bones to hum live a hive. Silver and gold decorations are stung up along with the New Year in shimmering numbers dangle from the stairwell and the high domed ceilings. Clear balloons with confetti shake with each beat and I wonder what it will take for them to pop. The smell of perfume, alcohol, and marijuana fill the air and I skim the place for adults but there are none. "Must be at their own little party," I think.

Every room is packed and I realize that students from every grade must be here along with a few from our neighboring school. The scene is before me looks something straight from a Hollywood movie and I blink, unable to register that not only do extravagant parties like this actually happen and how rich Maci Simmons must be—well, her parents anyways.

Jake takes my hand and leads me to the kitchen. It takes several minutes though, because about seven people stop us to talk to him. I zone out during the last conversation as it's mainly about their rugby season and take this time to examine the house once again. The Spanish theme isn't only on the outside apparently, because large expensive tile is laid out throughout the home as well as rustic wooden scones as lights. In the main entryway is where much of the dancing takes place and bodies gyrate against one another in drunken hazes.

A tugging at my hand lets me know that we are moving and I squeeze through the crowded hall until we enter the kitchen. It's still pretty packed, but not as bad as the main areas and I feel like I can actually breathe.

Jake scoops out a can of Bud Light from the large Yeti cooler and cracks it open with a satisfying hiss. "Want anything to drink?"

Thinking it over, I know that I'll feel a bit more relaxed with alcohol in my system so I nod. "Yeah, can you see if they have any Michelob?" A few beers won't hurt.

Jake pushes some ice out of the way and grabs the brown bottle and pops off the cap before handing it to me. Smiling, I grab it and take a long sip, enjoying the way it tastes. We talk for a while and are soon joined by Caroline, Lee, Alex, and the others. I've got to say that camping was probably one of the best decisions I've made because not only did it bring me closer to Jake, but it also brought new friends into my life that I truly like and care for.

We drink and joke around for about a half hour with me leaning against Jake's torso who is in turn leaned against the Aztec styled counter. Three beers in and I'm ready to dance, so I take his hand and drag him out to the main area.

"Mine" by Bazzi plays and I drape on arm around his neck and grasp my bottle in the other and we sway to the music, stealing kisses from one another every once in a while. A few more songs play until "Zombie" by Bad Wolves come on and then everyone is jumping around and pretending to be rock stars while they sing along. I get about halfway until the fizzy liquid in my stomach begins to disagree so we go outside to the back yard and watch a few games of beer pong until it's settled.

Finally it's our turn and we play a few rounds and I begin to sober up, knowing that I have to drive us home. Jake on the other hand decides to take a few shots after each win and I stop him after the third game. "Let's get you some water buddy," I say and begin to lead him to the house.

Back into the kitchen, I hand him a water bottle and we go back outside and sit down on a plush lounge chair by the pool.

"Having fun?" I ask him feeling relaxed.

He nods his head and gulps down water, "Yeah I am. You?"

Laying down, I prop my feet onto my lap and cross my hands over my stomach. "Surprisingly yeah. What did you tell your mom you were doing tonight?" I ask curiously. Considering they were pretty strict on parties and all, he usually had to make up excuses.