Chapter 5

"Kid, I swear we will start working on your powers soon, and don't think Nat's forgotten about that medical exam," Tony told you an evening a few days later.

"We have to start working on your powers soon. The world security council wants some reassurance you're making progress. Don't worry about that," Cap insisted before you could protest. "We've got it taken care of, but we do have work to do. I swear you're a priority and part of the team. It just has been a rough few weeks,"

You nodded in reply. [It's ok, Cap] you told him. Again. At least they tried to make you feel included when they were here, and the tower was so much better than the underwater prison, even if you were on house arrest.

"We have to take your playmate with us," Nat told you apologetically. "Sorry, but we're fighting Enhanced and we need his powers."

"Plus, he's supposed to be helping us as community service," Clint added with a glint of a grin at Loki, who just rolled his eyes. The team still wasn't particularly fond of Loki for some reason. Nat pretended for your sake if nothing else. Thor was just glad Loki had a friend.

Loki came into the room wearing his green and black battle costume and golden horned helmet. You went over to him and touched his cheek, worried that he was going out with the others, especially since this was the first time. He gave you a warm smile. He appreciated your concern. "Don't fret, love. I have been through much worse battles than this one will be. Will you be alright here by yourself?" he asked. You nodded, planning on curling up in your room with a book. You didn't want to stay downstairs by yourself in the empty tower. It was too empty and open. You'd hole up in your room until the team returned. He raised your hand to his lips and kissed the back of it lightly.

"Come, brother," Thor bid Loki, grabbing Loki by the arm and dragging him toward the elevator with the rest of the team. You grinned and waved to them, praying they'd be ok and back soon.

*

After awhile of reading, it started getting late and you still needed to get a shower. You set your book aside and went to your laptop to IM Jarvis, since there were no cameras in the bedrooms to sign with him. -Is everyone still out?- you asked

-Yes, Miss-

-Will you please let me know when they return?-

-Yes, Miss-

-Thank you- It was always best to be polite to the AI system that controlled the tower.

You left your bedroom door open, so Loki would be able to hear the shower if he came by and not worry about where you were, but closed the bathroom door firmly. Just in case.

Since you were alone in the tower and reassured that you were alone, you decided to do something stupid, but it had been so very, very long that you couldn't resist when the opportunity came around. It was so rare to get an opportunity. It was so very rare for it to actually be safe.

So you sang, belting out show tunes, old Disney songs, anything that came to your mind while you were in the shower. Your voice was hoarse at first. It had been quite a long time, but your singing voice was soon back in full. Oh how you'd missed singing.

You were nailing the high notes in Defying Gravity when you turned to rinse your hair one last time before getting out of the shower. When you did, you saw the figure standing in the doorway to the bathroom. Your heart jumped in fear and you threw back the shower curtain, already drawing breath to scream, thinking it was an intruder, but it was a Loki instead.

You jumped out of the shower and ran over to him, instantly worried over his safety since he'd obviously heard you singing. You reached up to touch his cheek. His ears weren't bleeding. That was a good sign. His eyes were glazed, though, his expression dazed, but he didn't seem hurt. He blinked quickly, now that you had stopped singing, and looked over his surroundings, confused. He looked at you then and truly saw you, his vision clearing; he finally seemed to realize where he was and what had happened. He turned the deepest scarlet you had ever seen anyone turn and he looked up at the ceiling, handing you a towel. You looked at it confused until you realized you had jumped straight out of the shower and ran to him and hadn't stopped for a towel along the way. You flushed as deep of a shade of red as he was and grabbed the towel, wrapping it around yourself so you were covered from armpits to thighs at least.