Chapter six

As Nocnor climbed into his cockpit and the doors sealed airtight behind him. He ran his fingers across the dashboard and pressed a button to begin preflight diagnostics then the hole terminal lit up with many different colours for different buttons and a display in front of him buzzed to life showing a topograph of what was under the belly of his ship which at the moment was just a engineer fuelling the his bomber.
"All systems clear, besh three ready to go" he said into his communicator. Then he heard every one else sounding off the all clear for their bombers.
"Hey 'Angel', you ready to show the empire a good time?" Besh one crackled through the speaker followed by the rest of besh squadron giggling.
Nocnor bowed his head in regret for having them talk him into picking up Leyl, hence his new nickname 'angel', but he took it as best he could and said "I am, I hope they know how to dance"
As the bombers lifted up off the hanger floor the bay doors finished sliding open and the squadrons began to fly out, adjusted their altitude to meet the tips of the the trees, and formed into a steady flowing river of grey.
I hate flying so low all it takes is one misjudged nudge or a ill placed branch and that's it, good night and good bye. Nocnor tightened his grip around the joystick the shocks from the bombers ahead of him caused a lot of turbulence and he could feel his craft shake. His head dripped with sweat as his hand hovered over the controls to release the bombs, a second too soon and it might explode on the tree tops and take him and his squadron out.
Then all of a sudden his terminal showing the topography of what was under his ships belly started showing the forest floor from what he could see the were easily fifty feet off the ground. How long has this forest been here.
Then his targeting lit up green signaling it was time to drop the first load of proton bombs. Instinctively he reacted opening the silo doors ready for the targeting to turn yellow. He readied his hand just over the button to begin the bombing sequence. His breath became heavy as he fought to fight the thought that the target was people he found bombing entire buildings and ships easy as he thought of them as just being derelict and needed to be destroyed to end the presence of the empire but here he could see out his view port people running here and there trying to survive and not just some symbol of oppression.
The target turned yellow, he knew it was time but he felt his hand begin to shake. He could see the rest of besh squadron already releasing their loads. He knew it was time, it was them or him so he held his eyes shut bowed his head to try imagine it was a military outposts and hit the button.
THUD, THUD, THUD. The bombs hit the ground and he opened his eyes to pilot his ship back around for another bombing run. By the time he had come back in range all he could see of the camp that been there was blackness the trees that stood so tall and proud had toppled and caught alight.
The destruction made his bombing runs easier to do as he just imagined it as a target practice, sure he still saw people running to and fro but they were already dead in his view if his bombs didn't end their troubles the bombers behind him would.
Upon the fifth bombing run Nocnors speakers erupted to life with the sound of general Ilam voice "all bombers return to base, I repeat all bombers stand down and return to base". Nocnor could not believe it he could get out of this metal coffin which now had a very potent aroma of sweat.
Nocnors comms crackled again this time it was besh one the squadron leader "here that guys we've made a big enough black spot in this mountain side even the general wants us to stop. First round is on angel when we get back."
Nocnor was too pleased to argue and responded with "sure as long as it's as sweet as Naboos wine."