chapter 12

"I'm gonna search for your love
Right through Hell and Heaven
Millions of years yet to come
And in all dimensions
I know that you'll always be
My happy ending

I know forever don't exist
But after this life, I'll find you in the next
So when I say "forever, " it's the goddamn truth
I'll keep finding, finding you"
(finding you, kesha)

"Peter, it's nice to see you again. How are you doing?" Peter had just entered the room, since Charles asked to speak with him. He had a vague idea of what this was all about. "Everything's fine. So what is it you wanted to talk to me about? If it's about us sneaking out last night, first off I just wanna say that I tried talking the others out of it. Vehemently."

"Not exactly, but since you mentioned it, I'd like to hear more about that." Charles had a demanding look on his face, because it was clearly forbidden to leave the school without permission, especially late at night. Of course he knew that they did it anyway, but Erik kept trying to convince him to take it easy and not punish them for just having fun.

"Oh. Never mind, then. I was totally lying - about talking them out of it anyway. It might have been my idea." Peter blurted out and instantly regretted it. Sometimes he just couldn't keep his mouth shut. To his relief, Charles seemed to follow Erik's advice on that one.

"Well, I'll let this one slide as long as no one got hurt. I'm actually glad that you told me yourself, so that I didn't have to check your memories."

"I may have almost wrecked the car when we were racing with Scott... Everything was going fine, until this deer appeared out of nowhere. Fortunately I noticed in time though, so nothing happened. I mean with my powers one doesn't have to be too worried anyway... I feel like I should just stop talking." Otherwise Charles might have changed his mind and all of them would have to write some boring essay about this. He already had to write a couple of those. "I'm kind of making this worse, aren't I?"

"Definitely. I'd like to hold a lecture about why you should never do such a thing again and I know how much you love writing essays about these things, but I promised to let it slide this one time and I actually asked you here to inform you about something entirely different. And don't worry, it's got nothing to do with your behaviour."

Peter looked at him curiously, "Now I'm listening."

"I plan to ask your father to marry me." Charles didn't seem as confident as he usually was, because he didn't quite know how Peter would react to this and he was a very big part of Erik's life. So he wanted his approval, before he went through with it. Peter was young and he still had to deal with his father issues, so Charles didn't want to put another burden on him or somehow get in the way of their relationship.

"Yes!" He replied instantly and even stretched his arm out to high-five him. "I totally shipped you two from day one. In case you don't know, shipping is when you want two people to be together, like obsessively. It kind of makes up for my own miserable and inexistent love life... Maybe that would change if I didn't obsess so much over other people's lives and focus on my own, but we both know that I'm not gonna do that. Sorry for the rambling, but I'm so excited right now!"

"I know what it means. I'm just a little surprised." Charles hesitantly reciprocated the hand gesture. He didn't expect such a genuinely positive reaction, but it lifted a weight off his shoulders. "From day one? When we were in prison, boiling with hate, because we abandoned each other and hadn't talked in over 10 years? That seems a bit odd."

"You mean when you were dying to make out with each other and covered it up with anger? Yeah, definitely."

The little smirk on Charles' face indicated that he wasn't totally wrong. "I'll pretend like I didn't hear that one. But I want you to know that your approval means a lot to me."