Chapter 2- Don't Lie

"Earth to Allison, what the heck!" Cassie yelled at me. "What's going on? You just stopped. Are you feeling sick? You haven't had that much to drink."

"If I'm sick it's not the alcohol," I replied stiffly, although I was starting to feel the effects of the fruity drinks. I wondered how much alcohol had actually been put in them. Enough to affect a werewolf after only a couple apparently.

Alarik still held my gaze. I looked away, a small part of me hoping that if I did, then it wouldn't be real. Alarik wouldn't be there, and he most certainly wouldn't be my mate. 

My eyes flicked back up, and no luck. He was still there. The way his eyes held me made me squirm. I was torn between wanting to run toward him, and wanting to run very far away. 

I'd had a thing with Alarik in the past, way in the past. I had been seven, he'd been nine, and it had only lasted two days. We were children after all and it was more of a relationship to say we were in one, everyone had been doing it, and I'd gotten to claim the Alpha's son as my boyfriend for two days. What could have been any better than that? After that though, he had acted like he couldn't stand me, like he couldn't stand anyone. He was too good for us normal people. 

He had been around the entire school, and I didn't mean the school grounds. Making the rounds to see how many girls he could get in a week. As if anyone would refuse the Alpha to be. All he had to do was look their way and their panties would drop. Cassie and I had made bets that he had taken the virginity of at least half the girls in the school, and graduating the year before hadn't slowed him down any. 

Go figure the world would give me the biggest player for a mate. 

Cassie's eyes followed mine, scanning the room for whatever it was I saw, but Alarik had disappeared. Thank goodness for small miracles. 

I turned back to Cassie and after a moment we started dancing again, but she wouldn't let it drop. 

"What in the world had you acting like a space cadet?"

"It was nothing."

"It sure didn't look like nothing. You looked extremely pissed off."

"Well then maybe you should drop it, shouldn't you?" I shot back at her. 

"Alright then," she said holding her hands up in surrender. 

I had finally gotten back into the music when I felt a tap on my shoulder that set me on edge. I turned around to see Alarik staring at me, his head cocked to the side slightly. 

I swallowed the jitters that started dancing around inside and stared back at him. 

"I was wondering if you'd like a drink." Alarik held a glass out that looked a lot like the drinks Cassie and I had been drinking earlier. No doubt he'd harassed the bartender to figure out what we'd had.

I shook my head not trusting my mouth. I couldn't let it betray me. Accepting anything from Alarik was like admitting the conquer already, and there was no way I was going to be one of his conquests. 

"I got it just for you," he said, his hard blue eyes looking straight into me. My eyes traveled across his face. His strong jaw, the stubble that had started growing on his chin, the straight edges of his nose. 

"No," I said turning back around to Cassie, swaying slightly, hoping he would just leave. 

He gripped my shoulder tightly and my wolf wanted to leap out. I honestly wasn't sure how she had been kept at bay that long, but she was ready to go now. 

"I think we need to talk, Allison," he said quietly but with power. 

I was at war with myself. I couldn't believe he was trying to use his 'I'm going to be the Alpha, you must listen to me,' voice. My wolf on the other had wanted to shout 'yes please!'