Chapter 29- Mama Trenton

I went around to the back door of the Trenton household like I said I would, and knocked on the door quietly. I held my breath as I prayed that Mrs. Trenton would be the one to open the door. 

"Allison, there you are! Come on in," her voice was so cheerful, I bet it wouldn't be much longer. 

"Thanks Mrs. Trenton."

"I told you dear, call me Debra. There's no need to be so formal."

"Right, are Alarik and your husband home?" I asked nervously. 

"They're in a meeting with a visiting Alpha. They'll be busy for quite a while I assume. Do you want me to leave them a message of some kind?"

"No, no. Nothing like that. I wanted to talk to you. Just you," I said emphasizing the last bit to make sure she understood what I was saying. 

"Well then come on in to my own office and we can talk privately."

She led me down the hallway and into another office that looked similar to her husband's, only this one seemed more friendly, as if it was actually welcoming whoever came in.

"I am so glad to see you coming around here again. I know you and Alarik had a bout of differences when you were younger, but you were always my favorite." Debra gave me a bright smile. 

I hoped that what she was saying was indeed true, because if it were then she could potentially be my biggest asset.

"Right. It's actually funny the reason Alarik and I have been...hanging out more recently."

Debra just smiled so I decided to keep going.

"You see, not too long ago was my seventeenth birthday, and well it was a pretty interesting day."

"You kids and your antics. I'm sure you were partying all night then," she said brushing off the topic as nothing more than teenagers being teenagers.

"Well I did go out with my best friend, but it was what happened while we were out that sort of jump started me coming around here again." I paused for a moment to build up the courage.

"He and I are mates." I had to just spit it out. There was no way I could tiptoe around it and ease Debra into it gently. I didn't have the time to ease her in, for all I knew Alarik and his father could finish up whatever it was they were doing at any moment and wander in to find me. At this point I was more worried about his father seeing me than Alarik seeing me.

"Well that's wonderful! I'm going to have to scold him for not telling me something so important. I can't believe he would want to keep something like that from his own mother. Oh Allison, this is so wonderful." The woman's squee of excitement was almost too much, as was her rib-crushing hug that she pulled me into. 

"Oh honey, welcome to the family! It's a crazy one for sure, but I'm so glad you're able to be a part of it."

Her words and her hundred watt smile was enough to break my heart, because I wasn't welcome into the family. There was one person standing in the way of that.

"Actually, that's why I need to talk to you. Your husband isn't as thrilled about the...situation."

"What do you mean?" A deep frown took over the beaming smile, and lines creased between her brows. 

"He—he doesn't want us together. He already has different plans, with that visiting Alpha," I said. 

"I heard he had planned a wedding for Alarik, but that won't happen once he knows about you two-"

"It will still happen ma'am. He told me himself that it was still going to happen. He already knows about Alarik and me and he doesn't care. He wants Alarik to marry that Alpha's daughter."

"That is completely and totally absurd!" Debra shouted. 

I cringed slightly hoping that wherever Alarik and his father were, they couldn't hear her.

"I was hoping I could come to you for advice or help. I mean, I wasn't totally sure about being mates with your son. We're sort of from completely different worlds you know, different personalities. But I wanted to at least have a chance to see if things can work between us. As it stands now we're having to sneak around because he threatened my friend and her family if I go against him."

"What did he say?" The creases had deepened in the woman's face and I could tell there was rage building behind her eyes. 

"He said that if I didn't reject Alarik that he would cast them out. Mark them as pariahs so no one would want to take them in. Being out on your own, without a pack, it wears down on you. I couldn't subject my best friend and her family to that."

"You didn't reject him. Did you?"

"I tried to, I had intended to but he wouldn't let me-"

"Good!" Debra jumped out of her chair and paced the room. 

"I would not have forgiven my husband if he had actually caused you to reject Alarik. You both deserve much better than that! You deserve your best shot."

I just nodded and looked at the ground. 

"Heaven knows that boy can be difficult to deal with, gets it from his father. I just hope that he has better sense when the time comes for him to take his father's place."

"So you'll help me?" I felt a spark of hope, a potential light in the darkness. 

"Of course I will. That boy deserves happiness, you both do, and I'm not going to let that grumpy old man ruin it for some land and a few people. If he wants to make a deal so bad, then he can find a new way." Debra was practically fuming as she spit out the words. 

"I really, really appreciate that, but can I ask one small favor before you do?"

"What?"

"Can I not be around when you do it? I really don't want to get in the middle of a fight, and frankly your husband scares me."

It was true. I hadn't thought about him much before, but when we had taken that car ride under his orders and I'd seen the darkness lurking there. It had been clear he would do what he wanted to get his way and what I had seen hidden in those dark depths had been quite fightening. 

"I wouldn't ask you to be around for that. I can tell you that no matter where you'll be you will most likely hear it though. The whole pack will probably hear this one."

My eyes widened slightly. To say Debra was pissed was an understatement. I think I actually liked and respected her more than I already had and I couldn't help but wonder how she'd ended up wed to a man like her husband. I felt bad that she hadn't found her own mate. Here I was, having not even wanted one, and she had probably dreamed of finding her other half. And how after all those years she still put up with him when she knew the sort of stuff he pulled like this, how in the world could she do it?

We both heard a door open and close somewhere in the house and Debra's eyes narrowed. 

"That'll be your cue to leave. I believe my husband's meeting has ended."

I nodded and stood. Debra opened the door and stepped outside before ushering me out. I caught a glimpse of Alarik as my hand turned the knob and pulled the door open to leave and as much as I wanted to see him, I knew it was better if I didn't, so I just stepped outside and started the trek back to my house. 

I hoped Mrs. Trenton would be able to do something to at least postpone this horrible 'business proposition'. I just couldn't stand the thought of that blond bimbo all over Alarik. I knew it was partially the bond that disgusted me, but now it was also partially my own feelings.

I wanted Alarik.

*************

Dun, dun, DUUNNNNNNN the realization hits her right in the face!!

I just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever holiday you celebrate around this time. And if you don't celebrate anything well, that's A-OK too! Here's a little treat for you all!

Remember to leave your COMMENTS below and if you liked the chapter then please drop it a VOTE thank you all and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!