Last Breath

It was just another normal day in the
household, Shahid took a day off from work so he could show me around the city. As we were about to leave, the postman knocked it was a letter for Shahid. He didn't even glance on it and placed it in his pocket saying that it was probably not that important. The whole day was wonderful me and Farhana had so much fun we went to local shops and bought some stuff. We all ate lunch and made our way back home. Now me and Shahid were completely comfortable with each other we had developed this ease as if we were best friends.

As we reached home, I want to make some tea for all of us while reminding Shahid about his letter. He just nodded at me and told me that the letter was from home, so he'll wait for me to finish making tea and then open it. In about 5 minutes I was sitting next to him excited to hear back from my Aba. Shahid just chuckled at my excitement and started reading the letter. I saw his face change colour and his jaw tighten, worried I asked him what was wrong. He finally looked up at me and told me that we had to leave, and I just knew looking at his face that it was Aba as I had shared with him my fear of losing Aba after finally getting him after a long time. I didn't even pack anything for myself, Shahid held my trembling hand telling me to leave the clothes and that he'll pack them . Off we went to this dreadful journey. I finally gained courage and asked him if Aba was dead and he shook his head, this didn't really make me less worried as what if I was too late and didn't get to say goodbye.

After long 5 hours we reached there, I knocked liked a mad woman until I was met with Ami's tear-stricken face. What happened next shook me, she actually hugged me which she had never done till this date and I knew it was bad there was no returning back from here. I went towards Aba's room and there he lay his breathing laboured, blood socked cloth on the floor, sunken eyes staring at the roof he was so quiet that I almost though he was dead. I walked near him slowly and bent near his bed and called him. He turned to me and smiled with all his strength and that broke me right there. I wailed loudly like never before hugging him, tell him that he can't leave me and that he has to stay for me. He made me face him and told me that it was his time now and all his suffering was going to end. He said he didn't want us to spend his last moments like this, he wanted to leave with beautiful memories. Hence, we talked and talked about everything from weather to my Amma. He then finally asked me to call Shahid in. I was to wait outside while he talked to him in private but the curious side of me wanted to know so I stood right next to the door. He told Shahid that his last wish and request was from him was to keep his daughter always happy and promise him that he'll love her forever. I was overwhelmed with the love I got from my Aba and content that there was someone that truly loved me.

I sat with him all night and when I went to pray in the morning I came back to his lifeless body. I sat next to him just hugging him relishing his presence and warmth the last time before he taken away from me. I didn't cry at that time, I don't think I had the strength to even stand anymore. The next few hours are hazy, I don't remember when Shahid found me or when we wrote letter letting everyone know that Aba was to be buried in the evening. Its funny how the in such a big loss the first thing is worried about the arrangements, where to bury him, where would everyone sit and what would everyone eat and if everything is not taught out it's a disgrace. We humans are so cruel we never pick each other in difficult times either it's always what you didn't do not did do. Shahid was so helpful in all these things and was taking care of me as well, he even made food for me, but I couldn't not after seeing my dead Aba's face.

Mazhar chachu and Safdar bhai were the first to arrive. Both hugged me and assured me that they were there for her and that her Aba changed because of her, he truly loved her. Safdar bhai just sat next to me, he told me that no one understands her pain better than him and he can't promise that this pain will ever go away but what he can tell me is that with time it becomes more manageable, the weigh on your shoulder does not go away but you become stronger to carry that weight . Then to make it worse I saw his face, there was Jameel Ji walking towards us with bare chachu, daadi , bua and Aliya along. But I didn't have the energy to feel anything I was to overwhelm. The minute they all saw Aba both my chachus just hugged each other and cried with so much grief that it shook me. And daadi just sat on the floor stroking Aba's hair again and again not saying anything. The dame finally broke when chachu told her that he's not coming back, and she wailed like a wounded animal. Bua came forward and hugged me giving me the comfort and warmth that Ammi was not able to give me. Next Aliya hugged me as well telling me how sorry he was. Jameel ji greeted and told me how sorry he was for my loss and if I was okay and I just nodded. The next minute to my relief Shahid came and asked everyone if they needed anything and introducing him not that anyone payed any attention too consumed by the grief.

It was calm then until the moment they were going to take him away I came out of trance as this was the last time, I was ever going to see him, and I ran towards chachu asking him to not to take him away from me and that I wasn't ready. Until Shahid came and held my arm taking me to my Aba one last time and told me to touch him with all my love one and I stroked his face making peace with him, letting him go away know. He was just gone physically, his presence and love will always with me in my heart.

Soon it was night already, but no one could sleep. Everyone was gathered around in the aangan sharing stories of Abba, smiling while thinking of the person that passed away brings some other type of emotion that I can't explain. In all this time Daadi or Jameel ji haven't muttered a word to me. I could see him glancing at me and Shahid a number of times but there wasn't any exchange of words. Suddenly the happy memories took a bitter turn when daadi started talking about how I always insulted my Abba, how he was so fed up of me and my auspicious shadow killed him too. I can't imagine how someone could be so stonehearted to say this. I could see Jameel Ji from the corner of my eye moving forwards and asking daadi to go inside but she kept on hurling insults at me. I couldn't take it anymore the self-doubt creeping in my bones almost making me loose my balance when Shahid quickly was there to hold me and as I turned around, I saw Jameel Ji stepping back with almost hurt in his eyes. Finally, Shahid gained the courage to tell daadi how much my Abba loved me, and I loved him, how his last wish was a promise from Shahid was to take care of me and love me the way he loved me. He told her even when I told him to stop about how someone can be so bitter and now Chammi is not alone she has her own family that love her from all their heart. No one stepped in to stop him and tbh I felt good not about him telling daadi off but for him to stand up for me.

All I wanted was this night to end and see what the new dawn brings .

A/N : Hi readers let me know if you like where this story is heading if not I do have a couple of ideas that I could do with this . Plus is there any character you would like to see more let me know in the comments please . I would love to get some feedback .Also checkout Aangan scribbles which I update every Friday hopefully