Chapter 5

Super long chapter ahead!

I also wanted to share a quote that really helped me write this chapter. I don't know who said it, so sorry!

"Thrive for progress, not perfection."

Enjoy!

*MATURE*

****

"Mrs. Romano? Mr. Romano is finished with his meeting, he'll be with you in a few moments," Nathan said, standing in the doorway of the dining room. His presence surprised Fran, who had been shoving noodles in her face rapidly.

"Alright," she mumbled with food in her mouth, rolling her eyes when Nathan laughed as he walked away.

She was eating dinner late tonight, she thought as she looked at her phone.

Eight o'clock.

Tony must be tired, he'd left at five in the morning and flew to Michigan, then was in meetings until eight in the evening. That meant the video call would be short. She clenched her eyes shut.

You can do this, she told herself, willing her brain to listen.

Fran finished shoving the rest of the noodles in her mouth before placing her bowl in the kitchen sink and darting upstairs.

As soon as she stepped into her quiet room the Skype ring blasted throughout the room. She flinched, the noise catching her by surprise before she picked up her laptop and sat on the couch in the bedroom.

She tucked her legs underneath her and took a deep breath before answering the call.

"There you are," Tony grinned as the call connected. His hair was tousled like he'd been running his hands through it all day. The tie he wore when he left her this morning was tossed on the bed behind him, but he was still in his suit.

"Here I am," she smiled back. Tony ran his hand through his hair again.

"Rough day?" She asked, allowing her eyes to roam over his face. He nodded, his hair moving with his head. She grinned. He must have run his hand through his hair so much that it had removed the products he used.

"Yeah, these guys aren't happy. Apparently we messed up a lot in this contract, including their damn name." Tony looked pissed, but instead of changing the subject Fran pressed on.

"Who wrote up the contract? Those kind of mistakes don't just happen, Tony."

"You don't think I know that, Fran?" He snapped. Tony closed his eyes and hung his head.

"It's alright, Tony, you're stressed. I know."

"Let's just change the subject. How was practice today?" Damn, how to explain this without making him angry. She forced a happy smile on her face.

"It was good, tiring," she muttered, avoiding eye contact. He sighed.

"Nathan called me." Fran's head shot up, glaring at the screen.

"He had no right to do that," she muttered. She hadn't gone to practice today because she'd woken up with an anxiety attack. God, she was so weak.

"Look at me," Tony commanded. She made eye contact with him and his eyes softened at the tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I had a bad attack this morning and I was too tired and—"

"Fran, you've got to go to practice," he said softly, trying not to trigger her again.

"I know, but I was afraid that I was so tired I would mess up or fall... I don't want to hurt myself."