Waiting Game

Andrew rolled over. He was awake, but was pretending to himself that he wasn't and was keeping his eyes closed as he lied on his bed. He was waiting for something to happen that would be a solid enough reason to actually get up and start functioning. He continued to roll over, as now his alive body could feel the sternness of sleeping for hours on end.

Eventually, he found himself tired of lying around and sat up. He leaned forward and stretched his arms and back, trying to shake off the slumber. He threw one of his legs over the side of his messed up bed, which seemed to fit perfectly with his 'messy but not too disgusting' room as Shane called it. Sure, there was some stuff on the ground like old socks and a pair of gym shorts that he hasn't worn in ages; but nothing too horrible.

He cast his other leg over the side of the bed and pushed himself up with his arms. He followed that by stretching some more. Touching his toes, extending his back, and moving his legs in a way that would wake them up. He walked out of his room and into his kitchen, as he lived in a quaint little apartment. He reached up into a cabinet to get cereal. He glanced over at his clock.

8 am on a Saturday and I got nothing planned.

Andrew thought to himself while he poured his cereal into a bowl. He grabbed milk and poured it in, making sure it was the perfect amount so it wouldn't get soggy too fast, but it wouldn't be really dry either. He put the milk back in the fridge, pulled out a spoon and turned to eat his cereal standing, while leaning up against the counter. The sun had that certain shine to it that just encapsulated childhood. Those days where you would wake up early to watch your favorite cartoons and then go outside and play with your siblings or friends. The days where they seem to last forever while you and your friends sat drawing on the sidewalk with bright chalk as the late spring breeze floated gently in the air. The days where the sun gleamed golden rays through the green leaves of a tree in your front yard. The days where the sky shined blue as it gently faded to a bright white at the horizon. No clouds, just sunshine. Andrew smiled, thinking of all the good memories he had from being a kid. When his only worries were if the weather permitted him to go outside. The sun shined on the wooden floor of Andrew's apartment, showing the dust gently floating by in front of the window. An odd, but comforting sight as the dust was illuminated bright white, slowly trickling down to the ground. The sky was shining the same way it did when he was little. It brought a tiny grin to Andrew's face, remembering his hometown and how picturesque it was. It was truly the perfect suburbia.

Andrew stood there munching on his cereal. He finished around 8:30 and decided that it would be best for him to get in the shower.

He turned on the water. 30 seconds later, after he was ready to get in, he stuck his hand in the water to make sure it was warm enough.

He slipped in and there he followed his normal routine. Shampoo, body, done. Simple.

Andrew emerged from the shower only about 5 minutes after he got in. With a towel wrapped around his waist he meandered back to his room. He threw on a white t shirt, adidas hoodie, and some adidas pants; a very typical look for him. He looked at his bed as he went to go back in the bathroom to hang up his now useless towel.

He came back into his room.

I should really make this

He told himself as his hands fidgeted, his body not wanting to do anything but his brain telling him he had to do it. He sighed as he trudged forward, listening to his head.

Within two minuets Andrew managed to tidy up his whole room. He sat at the edge of his bed as he looked around, waiting for something to do. It was at this moment where he wished he had a dog, or a cat; but he knew they would be too much of a responsibility at the moment. He pulled out his phone and lackadaisically scrolled through it, hoping that maybe something was going on at all.

Andrew pulled his eyes away from his phone and looked at a clock he had in the corner of his room.

Have I really spent 2 hours starring at my phone?

He asked himself as he pulled himself off of his bed again. He almost cursed himself for being productive early on in the week, as now it left him with nothing to do.

He knew now his friends would be starting their day, as all of them enjoyed sleeping in late on every day of the week. Andrew put his phone down face first onto his bed, and rubbed his eyes which were tired from looking at the fluorescent screen for so long.

Ding

He pulled up his phone to see a text from Garrett.

Hey Andrew! I'm hungry (like always) and I wanted to know if you wanted to come with me to Chipotle and get something?

Andrew smilies and texted back as fast as he could.

Hey Garrett, I'm down. Is 12 good?

Yup! I'll come swing by and snatch you up then.

Perfect. Now all Andrew had to do was play the waiting game for another hour.