Sewers and Spiders

I stood proudly on the steps of the Great Sept of Baelor as I listened to the Head Septon drone on about the Mother and the Smith. I let my eyes sweep below me. I saw the lords of all the major houses (bar Dorne) looking almost as bored as I felt as they watched the High Septon continue preaching.

I tuned back in as he got to the important bit.

"In the light of the Seven, I now pronounce Joffrey of House Baratheon, the First of His Name, the King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm. Long may he reign!"

"Long may he reign!" The crowd returned. The frantic cheering outside showed that the small folk outside had heard the proclamation made by the lords inside the sept.

A small while later I stood on the balcony at the sept. I felt a great sense of pride at the fact that thousands of people were standing shouting at me in admiration, the fact that they loved me this much and yet I had only just been coronated. This was the power of a king. I am now the King. I would not let my people down.

Time Skip

I sat in my new office. It was still decorated the way that my 'father' had it decorated. As if he ever used it. He was willing to decorate something using the money of the people he had sworn to serve and protect and yet he never helped them. It disgusted me. The stag head that was proudly displayed on the wall only served to remind me of what I needed to be. A king for the people.

I was shaken out of my thoughts as the door was knocked.

"Your Grace," the voice of Ser Barriston sounded through the door. "Lord Varys is here."

"Let him in" I said in reply.

I stood as Lord Varys shuffled in through the doorway.

"Your Grace." Varys bowed his head in respect.

"Lord Varys, please sit." I motioned to a chair that was in front of my desk. It was still weird to think of it as my desk, my office, my crown, my throne...

"Your Grace, why did you ask to see me? Do you require the service of my Little Birds?"

"Partly" I acknowledged. "I need you for two things. The first is about Petyr Baelish."

"Oh?" Varys enquired.

"I know that he has been using his position as Master of Coin to siphon funds off the Crown. I also know that he had something to do with the death of Lord Jon Arryn. Unfortunately I have no proof."

"I see." Lord Varys responded. "And you need my Little Birds to find this proof?"

"Indeed." I responded.

"I can definitely be of help, Your Grace. And the other thing you needed me for?"

I breathed deeply. What if this goes wrong? What if he flees to Essos and helps Daenarys? But then I pulled myself together. The benefits of this alliance far outweighs the potential risks.

"Lord Varys. I know that you have been helping the exiled Targaryens."

He tittered. "Well, there's no point in denying it."

This shocked me. I thought he would at least try to contest the claim.

"Your father was a weak King. All he did was whore, drink and mourn the girl he never had!" He was practically frothing at the mouth, this was a side of Varys I had never seen before!

"He was selfish. He never cared about the realm, as long as he had a whore to warm his bed and plenty of Dornish Red then he was happy. He never cared about the realm. These Seven Kingdoms need the Targaryens to return so that peace and order can be returned. Of course, I know you're not going to arrest me. If you were going to you wouldn't have asked for my help with Littlefinger. So what is it you want?"