Taxes and Lions

I was the last person to enter the Small Council chambers (of the people who had public positions, no one knew about Tyrion's position yet) of course this was planned with Tyrion in advance. He had to make a grand entrance after all.

Everyone rose as I entered, as per usual, including the Lord Hand Eddard Stark. I had contemplated relieving him of his position but had decided that it would be better for him to keep it, there was a severe lack of truly honourable men in Kings Landing, fewer still that don't really care what you think and what they want, but will say what they actually think is best. He probably wasn't happy about being stuck in Kings Landing but hey, he serves at my pleasure not his own.

As I sat so did everyone else. Ned looked like he was about to start talking when I held up my hand.

"My Lords there seems to be someone missing."

Ned looked around the table confused. "Your Grace everyone is here." Of course there was a seat empty. The one reserved for the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. That was soon to be rectified.

"Ser Barristan!" I yelled. He ran in with his sword drawn, obviously thinking that something was happening inside the room. When he realsised that nothing was happening he re-sheathed his sword and bowed.

"Yes, Your Grace?" He questioned.

"My Father made a grave injustice when he dismissed you from the Smal Council. You have proved your loyalty to the Baratheon dynasty and I ask you to once again retake your seat at this esteemed table."

He looked somewhat emotional as he bowed. "I humbly accept, Your Grace."

"Good. Now sit." I ordered.

Humorously, it was just as Eddard was about to start speaking again that Tyrion decided to make his appearance. There was a commotion outside and then Ser Boros Blount, the other Kingsguard knight who was guarding the meeting entered.

"I apologise Your Grace, but Lord Tyrion Lannister is here, he is insisting that you asked him to be here."

"Indeed I did, let him in."

He bowed and then departed. Everyone looked confused as Tyrion entered the chambers and bowed sarcastically. "I do apologise for my tardiness, Your Grace."

"It is alright uncle." I responded with mirth in my voice.

After a seat had been obtained and Tyrion sat down I addressed the Council.

"My Lords, I would like to officially welcome Lord Tyrion, the new Royal Steward for the Infrastructure of the Realm to the Small Council."

Everyone exchanged pleasantries (some more genuinely than others) with Tyrion before I once again spoke.

"His position is self explanatory, his first duty is to manage the complete rebuilding and expansion of Kings Landing."

Everyone -except Tyrion- looked shocked.

"Your Grace, that will be quite the expense." Stated Pycelle, probably hoping I will tell Baelish to borrow from House Lannister. Speaking of which, I must speak with Tywin while he was still in the capital.

"I am aware Grand Maester, this is why it will be done in stages. The city will be split up into eighths." Here I called for a servant to bring a map of Kings Landing into the chambers. When it was given to me I unraveled it and spread it onto the table. "Each section will be rebuilt one by one, as you can see on the map, only certain areas are marked for rebuilding. The majority of which is in Flea Bottom. The reasoning is simple, the other parts of the city are of a good standard. Unfortunately, some of those sections will have to be torn apart anyway."

"Why is that, Your Grace?" Asked Ned.

"Because during the reconstruction, Steward Tyrion will also be overseeing the construction of the new sewers."

Here Baelish raised an eyebrow. "Your Grace, the treasury can not afford such expenditures, the royal vaults are empty." He said.

"Of course in its current state it can't, however I have created a monetary plan for the rebuilding of crown finances." I explained.

"What does this plan entail?" Stannis asked.

"Some tax reforms, to start." I said. "Firstly, a tax on all brothels. 10% of the monthly income shall go to the Crown. Secondly, a small increase of taxes for the Great Houses. Furthermore, the Crown will impose import tariffs on certain luxury items that are imported from across the narrow sea, such as Myrish glass and textiles. All in all this should help to increase income and with the unfortunate passing of my father, decrease overall spending. I will also be travelling personally to Essos to negotiate trade agreements with the Free Cities as well as hopefully making an agreement with both the Lannisters and the Iron Bank to restructure our loan repayments."

At the end of my admittedly long winded explanation Renly looked concerned. "Your Grace, the Lord Paramounts won't be happy about having to pay more tax. They were getting annoyed during Your King Father's reign because of constant tax increases."

"Many won't be happy that their visits to the whores will be more costly either." Tyrion added whilst chucking.

"They swore allegiance to me after my coronation did they not." I argued in response to Renly, I then spoke to Tyrion. "Most say they follow the Faith, the Faith condemns whoring. They have no grounds to complain."

"I suppose so, Your Grace" Tyrion conceded.

"Anyway, that is all I have to say today." I concluded, "Are there any other questions?"

No one said anything so I stood up and declared that the meeting was over before walking out of the door and striding down to my office. On my way I asked a servant to bring Lord Tywin to my office as well.

A few moment after I arrived, Tywin arrived.

"Grandfather!" I welcomed as he walked in.

"Your Grace." He gave a short, sharp bow. Some would say it was disrespectful. "I was about to leave when you called for me." He said in slightly clipped tone. Annoyed that he wasn't made Hand of the King perhaps?

"Well that'll have to wait." I said sharply. He may be family but as Show-Joffrey likes to say: I am the King.

"I asked you here today to discuss something with you."

"And that is?" He enquired as he leaned forward ever so slightly.

"The three million gold dragons that the Crown owes to House Lannister." I said. "We obviously need to discuss a repayment plan. I am aware that my father never actually came to an agreement with you."

"Yes, he was rather good at that." He said, once again with a clipped tone. I was aware that this was on purpose - he was testing the waters; seeing how much he could get away with; weighing me up. His relaxed posture and deceitfully bored looking face a were testement to this.

"Lord Tywin." I started, losing the familiarity the conversation started with. "You may have more privileges than most, oweing to being my grandfather." Twice over I thought wryly. "However my posistion commands a certain levelof respect." I finished coldly.

He started chuckling and for a moment I thought that I had misread the situation and had pissed him off; the Reynes and Tarbecks can attest to how wise that is, but my fears were assuaged when he started to speak in a tone that only Tywin Lannister can manage. "It would seem, Your Grace, that I underestimated you. I had feared that you would be a weak king, yet you seem to have a backbone after all. Remember Your Grace, a King must not accept any disrespect."

"I will remember that, grandfather. Thank you."

A/N

Some would say this chapter is boring filler, I would say it shows how Joffrey will manage the realm in the future AND you get the first glimpse of Tywin in this story. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please review, I will respond!