Tae

Something tickles my nose, like a spring breeze that has arrived too early in the midst of winter. It's floral and mixed with snow, with just the slightest touch of mint and what purity would smell like if there was such a fragrance.

"V?"

My voice sounds like I've slept for the last few hundred decades and swallowed another few hundred vines of thorns during the meantime. It's rough and dazed, the opposite of the voice that answers me back.

"Did I wake you?"

Gosh, that voice.

Then the euphoria quickly gives way to embarrassment as I find my hand wrapped tightly around his, fingers entwined like our fates that led us here.

But when I try to let go, he won't.

"Did you really mean what you said?" My voice trembles, even though I'd tried my best not to. "That I creep—"

"No."

His denial is so firm that I immediately stop talking. My expression must look shocked because his voice softens as he takes the long waves of my hair in between his slender fingers.

"Your eyes are the only thing that keeps me going."

My heart warms. A small part in the back of my mind tells me to tread more carefully— what if he was lying? What if he was speaking from his brain and not from his heart?

I couldn't care less. Even if these were lies, even if these were words of deceit and faked— I would take what he would give me. Nothing meant certain death— a path full of pain and darkness and tears full of blood.

Breathing out the softest of breaths, I close my eyes as he brings his palm against my cheek. The warmth and assurance in that small gesture is too sweet for me to take— and I melt like ice against the hottest flame.

"No more leaving."

"I promise." He traces the outline of my heart-shaped face with his fingertips, and pulls me closer to his chest. "But you need to promise me as well."

A quiet giggle escapes my lips as I nod, but it hurts to laugh more than a few precious seconds. "I promise, V."

"My name is Taehyung."

The unfamiliar title makes me look up in surprise. "I thought that was your real name...?" At my confused expression, he gently corrects my claim.

"V is the name I tell people that I don't trust. It's the name I use when I basically test people— to see if they are worth my time and my affection." He pinches my cheek lightly as he continues.

"Taehyung is the name I tell people that pass that test."

"Who knows?" I ask, my mood suddenly much more better after I hear his explanation. A smile threatens to escape my control as I struggle to keep my lips downward and serious.

"My mother."

I expect more— maybe Jungkook's name or so— but he stops right there. My eyes widen in disbelief as my voice follows soon after.

"I'm the only one that knows except for your mother? There's no one else?"

At the shock in my tone, he shrugs nonchalantly. His voice reflects his lack of care and emotion as he says blankly. But then he looks at me, and something seems to come alive in the empty void in his dark brown pools.

"My test is hard to pass."

The giggle that comes out from me next is so bubbly and loud that it sends me flying over my set limits. Pain lances through my heart like sharpened needles, and I double over in agony.

"Tzuyu!"

In a short moment, he's pushed me back down onto the bed, eyes wide with fear and concern. "It was my mistake letting you get up. Go back to sleep."

"No— I'm not sleepy. That was just because I..."

"Shh." He puts a finger to my lips as his eyes glance towards the side of the door. It's open just a bit, the crack barely noticeable but when you do, seems more important than anything else.

If I strain my ears, I can hear some kind of dreamy sigh every time V does something. Now that I'm aware that someone was watching us the entire time, I go shock still under V's grip.

He rolls his eyes as the shadow behind the door slightly shifts to get a better view at the two of us.

"Mother."

Half of my lip have curled in silent laughter as the silhouette goes still as an ice statue. And when we don't take our eyes off of her, an annoyed, disappointed sigh echoes from the crack as she emerges.

"Why couldn't you just leave me alone?" She grumbles as she sets herself down on the couch opposite the bed I'm lying on. "I was having such a good time..."

"Mom." V cuts her off, his voice trained in a emotionless, grim tone. But the urgency in his eyes prove otherwise, and my smile grows even wider. It seems like his mother notices as well— and a smile that matches mine blooms upon her beautiful features.

V definitely takes after her.

"This is Tzuyu." He says, one hand still planted firmly on my shoulder to prevent me from rising. "She's the one that I, uh, brought over last time?"

His mother crosses her arms as she raises a disbelieving eyebrow at her son. "I know, V. Of course I do. Do you think I'll forget the only girl that you brought over for the last eighteen years?"

At that, my heart swells with laughter and warmth as V flushes— something that he rarely, rarely does. The rosy blush matches his pale complexion well, shading it a natural color.

Of course, if I put it like that, everything matched his complexion well.

"Let the poor girl go, V. She's already slept for hours— she needs some fresh air to clear her mind."

At that, I smirk at V. Even though he doesn't listen to anyone, the rare person, the only person, in fact— that he has to listen to is his mother. "I completely agree," I say lightly, and V shoots me a sharp glare that only makes my voice grow more bubbly and playful.

"Listen to your mother, Tae."