Promises

"You're crazy," I whisper.

"So what if I am?" Ignoring my pointless flailing, he stretches my arms even higher. The strain sends pain sparking everywhere, but I don't mind the sharp stings as I look at him right in the eyes. I had to get this straight first.

"You will not touch him."

"You can't tell me what to do," He hisses as I feel the muzzle of his gun press against my temple. "Nobody can tell me what to do."

I'm sorry.

Then a sudden bark splits the air, strangely familiar in my ears. My eyes shoot open as I whip towards the direction of the noise.

Teacup?

Then the man is suddenly thrown off of me as V crashes into him, eyes blazing with a level beyond the insanity I saw in the man's own.

My legs suddenly go slack as any signs of boldness leave me in a flash— gone as quickly as it had come. Then I feel something soft brush against my shaking body, giving me consolation.

"Thank you," I whisper as I take the Pomeranian into my arms. "I owe you everything, Teacup."

Then I set the barking puppy down, approaching the two fighting men.

"Stay back, Tzuyu!" V shouts as he drives his feet into the man's chest, sending him flying back. In a brief second, his eyes quickly scan over me to check for wounds.

His body seems to relax when he finds none.

"Watch out!" I scream as the psychopath locks his arm around V's neck, features twisted like an animal. My scream grows louder in panic as he squeezes against his windpipe.

I don't think, I act.

When I rush towards to help, V pushes me back so roughly I nearly fall. He throws his arm back instead, loosening the man's chokehold on his neck.

With another strike, the man's grip rips off of V's throat.

"Call for help," V rasps at me, pain and panic obvious on his face. "I don't think I can go any further— and if I pass out, then you— you have to run—"

He barely avoids another blow as I swallow back a sob, dialing Jungkook's number with trembling hands.

Jungkook first— he was the strongest out of the six. And then the rest— no,
911. V needed help. His voice hadn't sounded good—

"Noona?"

"Jungkook," I don't hold back the sob in my voice as I try not to watch V struggle to defend himself with his reopened injury. "Help— please."

I hear the sound of rushing feet on the other side as Jungkook's voice comes out frantic.

"What's wrong? Where are you, noona?"

"P-pet store. Alley on the r-right." A terrified scream leaves my lips as V lets out a pained shout, and I barely hear Jungkook's next words as he practically  yells into the phone.

"Is that V hyung?!"

"Y-yes." Then I stop replying as I ignore V's warning to stay back. I couldn't just let him get—

"Noona!" Jungkook is suddenly there, face flushed from running as he pulls me back. Giving me a firm look not to try to get involved, he tears the man away from V.

I forget everything as I kneel next to the pale boy, hands frantic as I rush to call emergency. Something firm circles my wrist as red streams down my cheeks, hot and heavy.

"Don't cry." He rasps, hands still tight on my skin. "Don't cry. I promise I'm going to be fine, alright? I love you."

"Don't say that— that's what people say to people when they're about to die. If you really love me, you better not die, Kim Taehyung. I swear—"

A feminine scream suddenly splits through the air, making me flinch in shock.

"Don't let Jungkook kill him. I don't want him to suffer with the nightmares." He grips my hand like it's his lifeline as his skin turns a paler color from effort and pain.

"Remember. I love you."

Then his hand goes slack so fast my heart nearly stops in its tracks. Only when I realize that he's still breathing lets me breathe as well.

He's unconscious. Not dead.

Never dead.

When I glance towards Jungkook, my eyes go circular with horror as I take in the brutal scene that the innocent boy had created in front of me.

"Jungkook!"

His fist stops moving as he turns towards me in question. The man's collar is still gripped in his hand, and I'm not sure how to feel about the seventeen year old suspending the adult clear off the ground.

Jungkook's usual doe eyes are filled with an unnatural anger, his fist inching towards the man with every second.

"You want me to kill him, noona? Because I can do—"

"No, Kook. No." I whisper, shaking my head. "It'll give you nightmares. Besides, he deserves to rot in jail for the rest of his life."

His hand lingers on the man before he flings his body to the wall so harshly he might as well have already been dead. Like he'd just beaten a game instead of a man, he bounds over to me and lifts V off the ground effortlessly.

Sometimes the boy was just too strong for his own good.

When I feel Teacup nuzzle his nose against my ankle, I scoop the little puppy up and tuck him inside my coat pocket. Jungkook eyes the furry creature in curiosity as he fixes his gaze on the tiny lump poking out from my coat.

"Is she yours, noona?"

I smile sadly, stroking his silk fur with my cold fingers. "It's a he. And he belongs to V— it's his birthday today."

"V hyung is nineteen now?"

Nodding because my voice would be a mess if I spoke at the moment, I move over to V's unconscious form. Brushing my fingertips down his closed eyes, then his cheeks—stained with my tears—I continue down to his lips.

Jungkook watches silently as I bend down to kiss him. The first thing I notice is that his lips are unnaturally cold, instead of the usual warmth it delivers.

"You better keep your promise."