To Wake

V's POV

Wake up.

A voice whispers inside my head, its tone foreign and unfamiliar. Somehow like an instinct, hatred and annoyance sparks through my mind like the specific emotion is reserved just for the voice.

Who are you?

I don't have time for this.
You need to wake up.

Who are you?

I'm you...sick of watching you.
Damn, I'm not supposed to be the
one trying to put you two back.

Two?

Yes, you two. The girl
that's been waiting for you
since you threw yourself away.

What are you talking about?

Don't "what is he talking
about" me. You need to snap
out of this and remember.

Remember?

Yes, remember. Let me
give you some help,
since you're obviously in
need of a lot of that.

Listen.

Following the strange voice's command, I fall silent as I listen. Confusion fills me as I hear nothing. I'm listening to silence— there was nobody else here.

There's nothing.

Listen!

The voice sounds agitated as I purse my lips, stunned by how agonized it sounds. Then something opens in my senses, like it had cleared the blockade blurring the usual capabilities of my hearing.

Far away, I can catch a feminine voice. Her tone is pained, like someone was grabbing her and splitting her apart piece by piece. And yet, she sounded like everything I had ever longed for.

I felt a sudden realization that the owner of this beautiful, vulnerable voice was the person I'd been looking so desperately for.

Happy birthday again, V.

My body goes stiff with tension at the single alphabet, trying to register the shock that numbs me afterwards. That was my name—V. Now I could remember. I'd given myself that name, and another that prickled at the back of my mind.

It's been four years since I've seen your eyes. It's been four stupid years— do you know how long that feels without you by my side? Do you realize I've come here every day just to find you like this, immobilized and motionless?

Memory sparks, intense and sharp from the tips of my toes to the top of my head. I was closer than I was ever before to finding everything I'd ever desired for. This was what I'd desired for.

It's like you're dead but breathing. But I guess congratulations— you're twenty three now, a meaningless number that would be so much more meaningful if you were awake. I'll follow you soon— I'm still stuck at twenty one and counting.

Blue and green.

I promise I'll wait forever. However long it takes— you can take a lifetime to come back and I'll be here every single day, waiting.

Waiting can be so horrible when you're the one doing it.

Red.

I wish I could just join you in whatever place you're roaming in. It would be so much easier that way— make things much more simpler than now. I'd take anything over staring at your dead but alive body for years on time.

Uneven eyelids.

You know, the people here pity me so much. They call us the saddest tragedy in the history of mankind. But why would they take pity on me when I experienced things that they would've only dreamt to experience? You've just been taken from me for a little while, and then you'll be back again, right? You'll come back. And then maybe we can finally have our happily ever after.

Dark waves. Snowy skin.

I don't want to wait anymore. I don't want to sit here and watch your heartbeat, going up and down in steady hills and slopes. I don't want your eyes closed— I want them looking at me and me only.

Intoxicating smell of rose and lavender.

Can you hear me?

Yes.

I guess you can't, since all the doctors said so. They all said you were a hopeless case— they'd never seen anyone in a coma over an year survive before. But you're still alive and breathing, aren't you? They must be wrong— some doctors they are. To call you a hopeless case— that's just ridiculous.

That voice. I knew that voice.

I hope your voice is restored when you wake up. I hated having to see you struggle so much to speak words— you didn't deserve that. You didn't deserve any of this, but you still had to endure through it anyway. It's not fair, V. It's not fair.

Her. Name.

Her name. I needed to know her name. Memories flash across my mind with every passing second, each one of them beautiful and filled with pain. They're all different, but carved with the same depth of meaning.

Do you like how the room smells? I replaced the lilies from yesterday with fresh roses. But don't they kind of smell like vanilla? I don't know— I feel like I'm rambling now. Do you think what I'm saying is pointless?

No!

Let me open the curtains for you— you always looked so amazing in the sunlight. I would never admit this, but the light would just color your eyes and hair golden and all the other wonderful shades and I just couldn't think, I couldn't breathe...

Okay. I'm rambling now, for sure.

I don't know— I don't talk much lately. But when I'm alone with you, then it's like the words just pour, you know? Like I'm bottling up each and every one just so I can spill all of them once I'm locked and unheard in this room.

It's a weird feeling. I can't really describe it— I was never really a poet with words. That would be your job, not mine.

Tz...

Do you want me to leave now? I feel like I'm disturbing you, and I would never, ever want that happening. The words I'm saying seems so pointless, anyways. You can't even hear me. So why am I bothering to do this?

Please.

Because I love you, that's why.

Tzuyu.

And a thousand memories flood my mind at once, bringing light and tranquility.