For a Night

Day after Release

As soon as V had learned that I hadn't eaten anything for two days straight, he'd forced me to eat so much food that I was sure that my stomach had died of overdose. Meanwhile, he'd dismissed himself with just a sandwich, claiming that they'd given him nutrients and whatever through the IV.

"That's just ridiculous," I accuse. "Even though they might've sustained you, there is no way a grown adult doesn't need to eat after that." With a pointed look, I abandon the bowl of soup I'd been eating and rush to the kitchen to fix something. I knew once I'd made it, he had to eat it— I'd just use puppy eyes or pretend to be mad. That usually got things done pretty effectively and efficiently.

Before I can move a single step, he clutches my wrist and shakes his head. His voice is weak and deprived of its richness, but I still melt at the depth of it as he strains out a word or two.

"No— don't."

He folds me into his arms as I try to struggle away, my body so small compared to his towering stature. Then his lips brush my hair as he tightens his grip around me, like I was a baby in a mother's arms.

"Stay with me."

The quiet words are distorted and barely a brush of the wind, but I still hear the meaning behind it. Trying to prevent myself from melting into a pile of mush, I put on a brave face and pinch the tip of his nose.

"Don't use that on me now— you know perfectly well that you can stay with me while I cook. Besides, I ate because you told me to, didn't I?"

He winces at my remark, clearly feeling a bit guilty. Even though I do feel kind of awful for making him feel that way, I'm happy when he lets me go. To make up for the fact, I start on japchae— a noodle dish that I know for certain that he loves.

As I wash the vegetables, I reach up to cup his forehead with one of my cooled hands. Unsatisfied with how hot it still was, I scrunch up my face as I point at the couch.

"You need to go rest— you're fever seems to be lingering still. I can't have the temperature rising, and neither can you."

Then a sudden knock echoes through the apartment, sharp and clear. There's so much urgency in the sound that I find myself rushing towards the door. But not even before I get into its six feet radius, V wraps one arm around my waist and pulls me back.

A tentative, dark look is on his face as he motions me to get behind him. At the proposal, my face scrunches up. I didn't like the thought of putting him in the head of danger again.

But when his face grows stormy and full of authority, I can't help but move back. When he makes sure I'm a decent range away, he clicks open the door.

Revealing six boys.

V's eyes instantly go as wide as they could possibly go as Jungkook, Suga, Jimin, and three other unfamiliar boys file into the house, and Jungkook hastily shuts the door behind them.

Then one of the boys I haven't seen yet, his handsome face adorned with a gigantic smile, embraces V like he's been a long lost relative— was he?

"V! Oh my Lord, you grew so tall— you have no idea how much sneaking we had to do to get here! Once I heard from your mom about the terrible stuff your stupid old man was doing to you, I couldn't—"