EIGHTEEN

Instead of retreating into herself like Zoe thought she would, she blossomed like a flower. She was no longer the quiet introvert hidden in boisterous Margot's shadows. No-- Zoe had come to learn that perfection didn't exist. She shouldn't wait for true love because that didn't exist either. No matter how much you thought you loved someone, you didn't. Because you never really knew anybody; they were always hiding something.

With that mindset in mind, Zoe had her first kiss in the bathroom of a club with a guy she couldn't even remember. She was pretty sure that he had blonde hair and stood out against a crowd of brunettes, which was what probably attracted her to him in the first place. It was a good kiss, and Zoe blushed even thinking about it. She shifted in her seat in the lecture hall. She was in her Statistics 101 class and she thought she was about to fall asleep. She was never the best at math.

She was never the best at relationships either. Although she hadn't dated since the whole Ben incident, it didn't mean that she didn't hook up. If anything, she had too many sexual encounters with boys who couldn't care less about her. But that was what she liked about them: they were upfront with their motives. There was no secret agenda. No secret girlfriend. All they wanted was sex and Zoe would happily give it to them.

When the class finally exited, Zoe left flanked by two French girls. Gemma was from Marseille and Nadine was from Paris. Unfortunately, Zoe hadn't branched out as much as she thought she would. She mostly stuck with the group of French kids that she met at the International Student Orientation. Most kids were too afraid to approach the European kids, so the French group stuck together. Zoe liked them but wondered if there was more to Columbia. The answer was yes, but she probably wouldn't be able to find it herself.

"Can we get something to eat? I'm starving," Gemma said, tossing her shiny dark hair. Zoe was pretty sure that Gemma was a model. She was tall and slim and always wore designer outfits; she always looked like she just stepped off the runway.

"You look like you're starving," Nadine joked, referencing Gemma's weight. Zoe rolled her eyes at Nadine's remark, scrolling through her own phone. She responded to a few texts from Margot, promising to Facetime her as soon as she got the chance.

"I'm in the mood for some dessert," Zoe piped in, looking between the two girls. Gemma opened her mouth to respond when the group heard someone yelling behind them.

"Zoe!" A male voice yelled. The three girls turned around to see a curly haired blonde boy from their Statistics class hustling across the building to meet Zoe.

"That is one hot American boy," Gemma said, a predatory smirk growing on her lips. Zoe rolled her eyes. The aforementioned hot American boy sat behind Zoe and always lent her pens. She felt bad because she didn't even know his name.

"Oh, shut up." Zoe nudged Gemma in the ribs, and Gemma laughed in response. The curly haired boy got closer, and she could see his smile from far away. Instinctively, she began to smile as well.

"Hi," Zoe said as he approached. Nadine and Gemma shared glances before taking a few steps back and talked amongst themselves. No doubt they were gossiping about the boy.

"Hey." If it was possible, his smile grew even wider. "I'm Ross— Ross Kennedy. We're in the same Stats class."

Zoe nodded. "I know. You let me borrow your pens that I never give back to you."

That elicited a laugh from him and Zoe was reminded of a boy that she spent forty-eight hours with. She pushed that thought out of her mind and focused on the boy in front of her.

"You can keep them, honestly, I have enough to go around." He paused and shifted, looking nervous. Zoe raised an eyebrow. "So, French people like soccer, right?"

Zoe raised both eyebrows, confused. The question came completely out of left field and she studied Ross' casual demeanor. Pursuing her lips, she checked him out. White polo, blue khaki shorts, and loafers. The shorts brought out his intense blue eyes, hidden beneath long lashes. He was attractive, but attractive boys were never to be trusted.

"Well, that's a big generalization," Zoe said. Color rushed to Ross' cheeks and he rubbed the side of his neck, nervously laughing.

"Sorry, sorry. I'm kinda nervous. But do you, specifically?"

Zoe tilted her head, smiling. She was never one to make boys nervous as she stood in promiscuous Margot's shadow. Even with Nadine and Gemma, boys usually overlooked her.

She responded cheekily, "Yeah. I like it."

"Perfect." Ross smiled. "I have a box seats for the PSG - Manchester City game in New Jersey."

"Wow, how'd you get those?" Zoe asked, eyeing the tickets as Ross produced them from his short pockets. He smiled so widely that the skin around his eyes crinkled, and that's how Zoe knew it was genuine. Zoe found herself grinning as well. She didn't really like the prospect of going to a soccer game soon after the whole Ben fiasco, but she had to get over him fast.

"A magician never reveals his secrets," Ross said, lifting the tickets into the air. Zoe bit her lip and reached for them, before Ross abruptly pulled them backwards. "So, what do you say Zoe? You're in?"

"When is it?"

"Tomorrow at 7:00. I'll pick you up at 5, we'll go out to a nice dinner, and then we'll go to the game."

Zoe raised a brow. "Oh, so now dinner is in the mix?"

She heard Nadine and Gemma giggling in the background and decided to ignore them. Ross had the decency to blush and he sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

"If you'd like?" He offered. Zoe smiled and took one of the tickets from his hands.

"I'd love to."

She programmed her number into his phone. Ross Kennedy, the boy with the million dollar smile. She waved goodbye to him as his apartment was in the opposite direction, and was immediately bombarded with questions from Nadine and Gemma.

"Do you know who that is?" Nadine immediately asked.

"Ross Kennedy?" Zoe said, although it ended up sounding more like a question.

"Yes, the Ross Kennedy, son of George Kennedy, second cousin of John F. Kennedy, who is also a freaking multi billionaire."

"Why do you know so much about American socialites?"

Nadine flipped her hair. "Half American. Mom's side. Not proud of it though, so don't mention it ever again."

That made sense. Zoe constantly wondered why Nadine's English was so perfect.

Nadine locked arms with Zoe while Gemma rattled of lists of places to eat near Columbus Circle. The whole situation was eerily similar and Zoe found herself longing for her best friend and the boy that got away.

***

thoughts?
vote + comment <3