s e v e n t e e n

the asteroid will barrel towards earth in an hour

everyone is staying indoors or with families. but not jihoon and soonyoung. the two boys have just reached the peak of mount manisan where they sit down and face the sky painted with harsh strokes of red hues. soonyoung hold onto jihoon's hands, grasping for cold as he feels the air turn warmer and warmer with each second.

"jihoon, where's the moon? why is the sky red? can we go home because i'm really scared."

"soonyoung, listen to me, okay?" jihoon cups the boy's face, "i'm sorry i lied to you about everything being alright. see, the earth is burning more with each second as we talk. i covered your arm with bandage so you wouldn't have to see the numbers that tell when we're going to die."

"i know," jihoon laughs bitterly, "it's so unfortunate for us to die a few days after we meet our soulmates. but i assure you, we'll meet again in another lifetime."

soonyoung still can't digest all of the words he just heard. tears well up in his eyes and his lips tremble, tasting life as it leaves him and his lover. "i don't want to go yet, is this really how things should end?" he cries "please don't leave me, i don't want to be away from you, jihoon."

"i'm not going to be away," jihoon whispers "didn't you tell me that when we die, we become stars? nothing will change, soonyoung, we'll just be home in the sky for a bit before the universe gives us another chance."

jihoon presses his palms against soonyoung's and there's that familiar feeling again. same with the first time their eyes met. electricity flowing through jihoon's body, friction sending sparks into galaxies. he leans in to kiss soonyoung's tears away. "when i turned seventeen i promised myself that i'll love my soulmate until the world ends," he says "this is me keeping my word until death so i can say that we're together as the planet falls apart."

"i love you," soonyoung cries. jihoon kisses the boy's trembling lips. he places his lips all over him as if it's the last time he will ever be able to do so. "i love you," jihoon whispers in between their kisses.

"i'm scared. i really don't want things to end yet!"

"sshh, asteroids can't destroy us, soonie. remember that."

when the sky falls down and the ground collapses beneath them, these two souls will be among the stars and they know it. "do you want to sleep on my lap as we wait?" the younger asks. soonyoung only lays down, and promises to be awake until the last second. the younger hums a tune that seems to calm both of them down for a few minutes. his fingers running through soonyoung's soft hair.

"if you're having a hard time, you can come hug me because i'm going through the same thing," the boy sings "no matter how much you hide it, you know that it's something you can't cover up. so that we can both smile, don't be sorry, don't worry, don't be afraid, don't cry anymore."

"to me, you're endlessly precious..." jihoon's voice gets softer at the end as soonyoung uses his hands to wipe the tears off the younger's face.

jihoon can't help but stare directly into soonyoung's eyes; the pair of crescents that tell him about their story, how they'll love each other from the day they met until they meet again years after they come home to the stars. jihoon will always fall for soonyoung. in this lifetime, he fell like the moon-everyday, every night. endlessly, over and over

until the world stopped still on its axis.

"soonyoung, i promise, i will find you in another lifetime. and i will love you just the same."

🌙✨☄️

__________________________

thank you for reading moon & asteroids!
happy valentines day and happy birthday, carats!

sequel is sun and satellites!