Chapter Eleven

The rest of the week passed by in a blur amidst the ever surmounting pile of research essays they were being assigned by their professors. The weather had finally shifted into the promise of autumn and October was unusually colder than it had been in previous years. Lily had been disappointed at first since it meant that studying under their favorite tree by the great lake meant bundling in two or three extra layers. Even then, they were only able to tolerate about twenty minutes outdoors before having to retreat inside to the library.

Marlene didn't mind though; she much preferred the atmosphere that the library provided both in terms of temperature and the silence that allowed her to concentrate. Outdoors there were far too many distractions and she was firm in her persistence to keep her studies a primary focus.

Lily still wouldn't acknowledge that she had any romantic feelings for James. Despite her unforgiving body language that contradicted her denial, Marlene knew that she had been right in her assessment. Initially Lily had pointed out that their trip to Hogsmeade was strictly head duty related. However, she couldn't provide enough evidence to support this and eventually stopped trying after noting the smug look that Marlene offered her every time she tried.

Mary had been spending an awful lot of time with Alice since their disagreement but she seemed happy and made no effort to settle with the girls. Lily didn't seem too bothered by this anytime that Marlene brought it up but she was rather known for her stubbornness and even if she was, in fact, unsettled with their argument, she was doing an excellent job hiding it.

The morning of Saturday arrived before Marlene had a chance to fully think about it and she was disdained to discover that her usual bundle of nerves had resurfaced as she awoke and realized what day it was.

"You're going to be fine," Lily said encouragingly. She looked as if she was trying to convince herself more so than anyone and Marlene was inclined to admit that she probably was. After all, she had detested James for the better part of five years and had somehow discovered herself in a position that opposed that.

After the two girls finished getting dressed for the day they wandered down to the great hall for breakfast. Mary was already there, sitting with Alice and engaged in conversation with a few of the sixth year girls that Marlene did not know by name. She smiled at them politely as they passed by her but made no motion to join.

"I wonder if she's ever going to get over this," Lily creased her brows as they settled into their seats halfway down the table from their friend. "This is just getting silly."

"I think we really hurt her feelings," Marlene felt saddened that she had been a cause of her friend's distress but Lily scoffed from across from her and shook her head. Clearly, she didn't feel the same way.

"Mary is a big girl," Lily said firmly. "She is almost eighteen years old and she needs to realize that not everything revolves around her."

Lily's words weren't meant to offend Marlene but she couldn't help but recoil slightly as she realized that she had been guilty of this not so long ago. Lily didn't seem to notice her trepidation and instead helped herself to the pile of toast in front of her.

"So what's your plan then today?" Marlene asked after she had poured herself a glass of orange juice. She hadn't noticed where the boys were as they didn't seem to be at breakfast and she hadn't seen them when they had left the common room. Lily didn't seem too concerned about their whereabouts though, so Marlene wondered if they had planned on leaving for Hogsmeade together or not.

"Well I thought we could hit up Honeydukes first," she replied casually in between a bite of her toast. "I need to pick up some more chocolate frogs to take home for mum at Christmas."