Chapter Thirty Four

"Once again another year has come and gone and we are left with yet another group of gifted and intelligent graduates," Professor Dumbledore was standing at the small silver podium that overlooked the hundreds of students and their families.

"I have every faith that each and every one of you will contribute something great into our magical community. Whether you will be back here at Hogwarts, teaching, or joining the Ministry of Magic in the fight against the dark arts - may your endeavors cause you joy and prosperity. If I may offer one final piece of advice; always do what you are afraid to do. Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are too busy living our fears."

There were a few hushed whispers that coursed throughout the crowd at his most recent sentiment but Dumbledore chose to ignore it.

Marlene was sitting in the first few rows dedicated to the graduating seventh years. She could see the back of Sirius's head a few rows ahead of her but could only imagine that he was smiling at the thought of joining the battle.

"Able, Joanne," he had begun announcing names, and a short and burly Ravenclaw hurried to the podium to grab the rolled parchment that the Headmaster was holding for her.

Marlene allowed her thoughts to drift as he continued alphabetically calling out the remaining graduates before her. She only broke concentration to watch when "Black, Sirius," and "Evans, Lily," were called on stage.

Her Uncle Tom had not made it for graduation. There had been some sort of emergency at the Ministry and he had sent her a last minute owl asking for her forgiveness for his absence. As she wasn't really close with any of her other remaining family members, Marlene found herself quite alone in the support department.

Sirius had been a great comfort for her though; he too was celebrating without his family there. Of course, Mrs. Potter had managed to make it, and both Lily's mum and dad were there too. He had been quick to remind her that not everyone that mattered had to be directly related by blood.

Despite her ill confidence with her Transfiguration examination, Marlene had found every other exam to be much more satisfying than she had thought they would be. Even in Potions, where she had first doubted her abilities, was she able to properly brew a Polyjuice potion for the panel and succeed in transforming into one of the examiners for well over an hour before the effects had died off. The two weeks of exams had flown by rather quickly, and before she knew it, the end of the semester loomed closer and graduation had arrived.

She hadn't had much time to think about what lay beyond the walls of Hogwarts for her after. Of course she had been preparing to enter the St. Mungo's training program and if that did not work out for her, well, she hadn't really concocted a backup plan for that scenario.

She knew that after leaving Hogwarts would open up a whole new realm of possibilities for her and she was both scared and excited to see what was in store for her future.

"McKinnon, Marlene," Professor Dumbledore's eyes passed over her and she felt a chill of excitement run through her body. She pulled herself up from her chair and moved to the front stage where he was waiting for her.

They were outside, very near the Great Lake and a cool breeze passed over her shoulders causing her to shiver. It was June, but she had had such little time to enjoy anything other than confining herself to the library over the last few months, that she had missed the change of season entirely.

"Congratulations Miss McKinnon," Dumbledore said quietly as she took hold of the roll of parchment in his outstretched hand. She shook his other hand and smiled at him, offering meager thanks before turning out to face the crowd. She could hear Sirius cheering loudly over the applause and their eyes connected briefly as she scanned over the hundreds of eyes upon her.