Chapter Thirty Three

N.E.W.T.s arrived before Marlene knew it. Most of her time was spent in a blur studying in the back corner of the library or late into the evening by the fireplace in the common room. Sirius didn't even bother interrupting her anymore – something she had mixed feelings about but was nevertheless grateful for his support.

When she wasn't studying with Lily or Remus she was practicing her Transfiguration with Sirius. Despite her initial apprehension about her skill level, she finally had to admit to herself that she had improved quite drastically. She had had a difficult time believing Sirius and Lily for their comments regarding her improvement but it was painstakingly obvious to her now.

The first morning of examinations just so happened to be Transfiguration.

"Maybe it's a blessing," Marlene said as they lingered outside the Great Hall for the afternoon practical. She had felt exceptionally confident during the written examination where they were asked to decipher the differences between animagi and human Transfiguration. She was even more confident when she was able to recall enough information on the Inanimatus Conjurus spell after studying it so heavily with Sirius back in sixth year. "Perhaps it's best to just get this one over with first."

They were asked to wait outside in the Entrance Hall as each student was called inside alphabetically. Sirius wasn't with them for long before his name was called. He wished Marlene good luck before ducking into the hall and out of her sight.

"You're going to do fine," Lily smiled encouragingly. "Just try to remember to concentrate and relax."

After Lily had been called Marlene's nerves seemed to only get worse. Remus attempted to console her but he seemed uncomfortable and unsure of what to say. James wasn't any better. By the time the list had reached the L's and Lupin, Remus had been summoned, Marlene was a nervous wreck.

"McKinnon, get a grip," James said wearily from a few inches away. He placed his hands firmly on her shoulders and instructed her to look at him. His form was slightly fuzzy but whether or not this was due to the tears she assumed were welling in her eye sockets or from the inkling to faint, she did not know.

"I'm going to forget absolutely everything," she could hear the panic in her voice. "I can't fail this one. I just can't – "

"I think she needs a calming draught," Peter's voice said from somewhere beside her.

"Couldn't have picked a better time to have a panic attack, could you?" James laughed nervously but then his throat cleared and a more stern tone took its place. "Honestly, what a waste of time."

"What is that supposed to mean, Potter?" she snapped.

"Well obviously you haven't retained any information if you're this panicked about it," James shrugged. "I mean, what a waste of time you've spent on studying if you can't even properly produce a non-verbal spell."

"I can," Marlene felt irritated. "I did one just this morning."

"Right," James raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "I bet that Padfoot or Lily secretly cast a spell so that you'd think that you had nailed the spell. Those two have been far too easy on you and look where that got you. Don't you agree Wormtail? She might as well not even bother trying."

"Why are you being so mean?" Marlene could feel her anger rising. She had never been talked to like this by him before but it was doing nothing to calm her nerves; if anything it was driving her emotions elsewhere entirely.

"There's no use sugar coating it for you," he said flatly. "We both know you're going to do miserably on this test. There's no point in pretending to tell you otherwise."