Chapter Twenty One

Monday morning came by far too quickly and Marlene had mixed emotions about being back in class. The weather had taken a turn for the worse overnight and a small blizzard was transforming the grounds into a state of stark white reminding her oddly of the halls in St. Mungo's. The snowflakes pelted the glass beside Marlene, building a small arc in the corner of the glass and she watched each flake continue building with aimless amusement.

A lot had happened during her absence and it was slightly overwhelming to get accustomed to it all. She wasn't surprised to learn that Dumbledore had cancelled all remaining Hogsmeade visits in light of recent events. She knew that this wouldn't stop the Marauders from sneaking out even though none of them seemed the slightest bit interested. She didn't blame them; she wasn't quite sure she would ever be able to set foot in the small village again.

The more alarming change that had occurred, however, was the cancellation of Quidditch. Both James and Sirius were still sulking over it two months later and Marlene sensed it was a sore subject. She avoided mentioning it after she had learned just how quickly their moods shifted when the word was mentioned.

"Miss Mckinnon?"

"Sorry Professor," she pulled her eyes away from the window to look at Professor McGonagall. She was looking expectantly at her from behind her spectacles and the sudden diversion from the classroom lecture caused Marlene to redden. She averted her eyes to the ground; she had been pointlessly daydreaming and not paying attention in class.

"You've already missed two months," Lily hissed into her ear after their Professor resumed her discussion on the multicorfors spell.

Marlene waved her off dismissively. She and Sirius had studied the spell back in the spring and she felt fairly confident that she wouldn't be missing much. Truthfully, her heart just wasn't in the classroom and instead her eyes refocused on the snow continuing to fall outside.

After class she stayed behind with Lily. Sirius and James had offered to wait but Lily waved them off and assured them that the girls would meet them for lunch.

"How was your weekend Miss McKinnon?" Professor McGonagall was less stern than she had been when she called Marlene out in class. "I can sense that you are still adjusting."

"It was okay," she admitted feebly. The thought of admitting to her Professor just how overwhelmed she felt seemed adverse. "I'm sorry for wandering in class. I'll try harder to pay attention. I'm just a bit distracted at the moment."

"If I recall correctly you wish to pursue Healing next year, is that correct?" Professor McGonagall raised her eyebrows slightly.

"Yes," she replied.

"You have missed a lot of coursework in your absence. Do you have all of the assignments you were supposed to complete while away?" Marlene put her hand into her book bag and pulled out a thick stack of paper. She handed it over to her Professor who flipped through it absently before offering a small smile.

"I know that missing N.E.W.T.s year is extremely difficult. If you do wish to pursue Healing then I don't think I need to remind you how important it is for you to catch up. I'm sure that Miss Evans and Mr. Black will be more than happy to assist you in getting reacquainted with your studies."

"Yes, Professor," she said feebly. She wasn't in the mood to be lectured on her commitment to her education; she already had Lily for that.

"Very well then, Miss McKinnon. I will pass along your assignments to the appropriate Professors. Do try to pay a little more attention in class and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Are you planning on going home for the holidays?"