Chapter Twenty Six

Tuesday morning rolled around quickly. Notice's for Lily's Valentine's Day dance had been posted the day prior and it seemed that that's all anyone could be heard talking about. It appeared that Lily's assumption that the student's needed something to look forward too had been correct. But then again, when was Lily Evans ever wrong?

It wasn't the foremost thought in Marlene's mind, however. She had progressively retracted herself from social gatherings and conversations since she and Lily had discussed her and James' relationship. She knew that her withdrawal wasn't subconscious either; she was purposefully avoiding putting herself into situations that required her to actually make an effort.

Of course it was noticed. She had to shrug off both Lily and Sirius a couple of times over the weekend when they asked her what was wrong. Apart from classes on Monday, she hadn't seen either of them once. Lily was too busy getting things ready for the dance and Sirius wasn't permitted in the girl's dormitory – something she took full advantage of.

But as she opened her eyes and allowed them to adjust to the steady stream of sunlight that was beginning to peak in through the curtains around her bed she felt the sudden nauseating feeling of dread she had been waiting for. Today was the day - the day that her parents had died one year prior.

It took her a bit longer than usual to roll out of bed but when she did she was surprised to discover that she had woken before Lily. She wasted no time taking advantage of it and quietly got herself dressed and ready for the day before slipping out of the room before anyone else had stirred. The common room was also quiet. There were a few students mingling around the tables but none that she knew by name.

Instead of hovering around in the common room like she once might have she took a sharp turn towards the portrait hole and exited. The hallways were bare as most students were likely still in their dormitories getting ready for the day. She didn't mind the silence though. It was quite peaceful and allowed her to reflect quietly on all the thoughts that she had been pushing aside over time.

She knew that she had spent a great deal of time with Sirius after their deaths but they hadn't ever really talked all that much about it. Marlene had felt very passionate in those early days about pushing her feelings aside and avoiding any discussion that might force her to talk about them. Today wasn't any exception to this and she was grateful for the serenity that the empty corridors offered her.

As she walked along the fourth floor corridor she caught sight of the familiar mirror she had once admired back in sixth year. Upon inspection, the only thing different about the mirror now was the battered reflection of a broken girl looking back at her with lifeless, hollowed eyes. It was a bit startling at first. Marlene hardly recognized the girl staring back at her. She brushed her hair out of her face and stared willingly into the image, trying to recall when she had changed so much.

Despite the fact that she had finally packed on a few pounds since her time spent in St. Mungo's, Marlene was still skinny enough that her uniform hung unflattering around her frame. Her eyes were sunken and she looked permanently tired. Perhaps there had been a time when she could have been considered attractive but it was hard for her to imagine how Sirius could see it because she was most certainly not anymore.

She caught sight of movement in her peripheral and turned her head to notice a couple of other students beginning to wander through the corridor behind her. She knew that it wouldn't be long before the hall was filled with students making their way to the Great Hall for breakfast. Her stomach knotted at the thought of the intrusion into her tranquility and she quickly hurried away from the mirror and off in search of privacy.

Her feet seemed to know where to take her, even if her mind wasn't registering where it was she was headed. The familiar room that she had met James, Remus and Lily in at the beginning of the year was just as dusty and untouched as it had been the last time she had stepped inside. In fact, due to its current state she wouldn't have been surprised to learn that they had actually been the last occupants within it.