9: Savior

Naimah

The bright morning sun shone flourescently through the shades of the window adjacent to the bed where I lay. I groaned as I slowly sat up in the bed careful not to wake Cameron. I gently threw my legs over the side of the bed and examined my legs. Tears began to run down my face at the sight of them but I quickly dried them because they burned the scars and bruises on my cheeks. How could this become my life once again? I thought I was in a safer place and ironically I was only closer to harm and danger. Every day I wonder how my baby girl is doing, I miss her dearly. I've never been away from her for more than three days and here it's been a week and a half. 

To no avail I haven't even been out of this house since Cameron brought me here a few days ago. So, there's no possible way for me to try to escape because he's around doing what he pleases to me or fighting me twenty-four hours a day. Even if he did leave me alone for a bit he knows I cannot get too far because it pains me to simply walk the short distance to the bathroom. I grabbed my jeans I had they day of the rescue from the floor and found the wallet-sized image of Rani I had in my back pocket. I did my best to not burst out into a fit because I missed my daughter. Not only do I miss her, I actually miss her father and bickering with him. I'll take those small bickers over this shit any day.

I realized I had begun crying and my nose started running in the process so I quickly wiped my eyes and sniffled to compose myself. I guess that small sniffle caused Cameron to wake up because he groaned and moved around in the bed. I frantically tried to hide the picture before he saw but the hand on my shoulder told me I was too late.

"What was that?" He asked me with squinted eyes.

"Nothing." I lied keeping my hands hidden.

"Naimah, don't play me for a fool. What the fuck was it?" He raised his voice.

"Just a picture."

"Of?"

"My-m-my daughter." I stuttered with shaking hands. 

"You just love provoking me don't you!" Cameron grabbed my neck and began to squeeze tightly. "I TOLD YOU THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE MY BABY!"

I tried to scream and cry out but his grip was far too strong. His eyes turned a deeper shade of green as he looked at me with rage adding his other hand to choke me harder. I began praying what I knew would be my last prayer as I wriggled and squirmed under his grip only fueling his fire and rage. I should just give up the fight because this is what has become of my life and I'm tired. I'm tired of fighting. I'm tired of pain and resent. I'm tired of more downs than ups and I should just let him take my life. 

I cannot though. My baby girl needs me. The thought of her not having me pains me more than anything and that thought alone gave me enough courage to muster up the strength to forcefully kick my leg between his legs causing him to fall back. Once he did I quickly got up and grabbed a bat he tried to use against me the other night and banged his legs repeatedly causing him to yelp out in pain. After a few more hits I threw the bat and struggled to open the bedroom door. After a short, anticipating struggle I got the door open and ran with all of my might towards the front of the house. 

When I reached the living room I heard the front door and I rushed towards the kitchen because I thought it was Devin. I heard the door open and soft footsteps then at the same time I heard Cameron yell my name. I stooped down hoping I would be out of the view of both. 

"Bitch, you can't go far!" I heard Cameron coming closer and frantically thought between life and death.

I chose life with a minor struggle and ran back towards the living room where on the way I was met by Dustin, Red and Pook. Before I could get to happy I felt a cold, hard object on the back of my neck and I knew it was the barrel of Cameron's gun. 

"I told you. You're mine. If I can't have you then God will, you and your mommy can be together happy again." I heard Cameron say through gritted teeth. 

Tears began to flow down my face because I knew there was nothing either of them could do at this point. Once false move from either of them and I was gone. They all had a bit of fear plastered on their faces but ironically, the most fearful look was held by Dustin. He tightly held his gun with tears in his eyes and his lips balled in anticipation. The suddenly a gunshot went off and I felt something burst in the back of my head. My body fell forward and Pook quickly caught me. My breathing and heart rate simultaneously sped up then I realized I wasn't hit the one hit by the bullet. I turned my head and saw Cameron's body sprawled out across the floor, lifeless with blood splattered every where. 

Behind him was a pair of black Timberland boots and black cargos now splattered with blood. I looked up and was met by the eyes of Jacquees. My true angel and savior once again came through for me like he promised me he would always be here to do.