Chapter 2 - Reclaiming Ruta

Summary: Link and Mipha journey to Zora's Domain to wrest Divine Beast Vah Ruta from Ganon's control.

"We should travel by water," said Mipha as she and Link prepared to leave Kakariko Village for their trip to Zora's Domain. "I can pull you, and it will be faster and safer. Besides, I can always use more water time."

Mipha and Link planned to reclaim Divine Beast Vah Ruta from Calamity Ganon's control, and so their destination was Zora's Domain. They had spent the night in Kakariko Village, Link asleep at the inn, and Mipha sleeping in the water near Impa's house. They were planning to start after breakfast.

Link was feeling revitalized, full of energy and enthusiasm this morning. Besides the physical benefits of Mipha's healing and a good night's rest, he always felt better when he had a goal in mind, and especially one involving his unique skills. He lived for that, battling evil.

He had not minded acting as Princess Zelda's guardian, but it was not as much to his liking. That work was defensive, protecting her from harm. He preferred to be the aggressor, seeking out and destroying evil, and helping people in the process. So, he was looking forward to this next adventure and a chance to strike a blow against Ganon and its plans. Link had acquired some basic weapons to tide him over for the trip and planned to upgrade them when he reached Zora's Domain.

But he did miss his sword, the sword that seals the darkness, and felt almost naked without it. As silly as it might sound, he and the sword had grown close over their last five years together, and he thought of it more as a companion than simple weaponry. Ever since the sword had chosen him, he could feel it tugging at his mind and heart.

First, it preyed on his mind to improve his combat skills, even though he was arguably already the best swordsman in all of Hyrule. But it had gone on to affect him in other ways, too. It heightened his hatred of evil, creating a fierce determination in him to attack and destroy evil wherever he found it. But it hadn't hardened him into a ruthless killer, as one might have expected. And that was because, at the same time, the sword had somehow deepened his love of Hyrule and its people. Whenever he saw or learned of someone in trouble, he had this strong urge to come to their aid.

That's what had happened in Zora's Domain when he learned of the Lynel on Ploymus Mountain terrorizing the people he cared for. He felt an overwhelming compulsion to help them, and couldn't stop himself from destroying it at once, much to Mipha's dismay. He wondered how the sword was able to do that to him, to balance two such different personalities. And he felt the sword was sometimes wielding him as much as he was wielding it.

But he had tested the sword's limits against the countless Guardians he had recently destroyed. Even the Master Sword had its limitations, just as he did.

So, he would have to make do without his sword for now. He hoped it was healing well. After all that had happened, the deaths of his Champion friends and so many innocent people, he was eager to strike back at Ganon with the one weapon in all of Hyrule it feared above all else. He hoped it would stir bitter memories for Ganon, and maybe even some fear as well, when he finally stood before it, sword in hand. And he swore he would give Ganon another taste of its bite and let it feel the cut of its blade. He would strike out at Ganon with everything he had! And he hoped that day of reckoning would come soon.

But first things first. He had received a good many lectures about not being reckless, and that was good advice. When the time came for his battle, he wanted to be sure all was ready. Princess Zelda and Hyrule were counting on him.

Anyway, it was a sunny day, and it was starting out well. Let's not ruin it, he thought.

"I guess I don't mind you pulling me," Link said smiling. "But we haven't played that way in ages. Are you sure I'm not too heavy for you now?"