Chapter 22 - Together

Summary: Mipha and Link enjoy their first day together as husband and wife, bringing this story to a close.

It was early morning in Zora's Domain when Mipha awoke. She looked over at Link lying next to her on their bed, and he was still fast asleep, his breathing slow and steady. She wanted to reach out and touch him, brush his hair back, rest her head on his chest, and feel his heartbeat. But it would be a shame to wake him, he looked so peaceful and his sleep so tranquil. So, instead, she watched him and thought back to all that had happened.

They had traveled across much of Hyrule together as they worked on finishing their tasks, and that time had brought them close and moved them to finally express their love for each other. And now they were married with the chance to have a life together. It was her love that had made it all possible, her decision to follow her heart that tragic day at Lanayru Road. She had wanted to keep her promise to care for Link, to help Zelda gain her power, and by helping them both to save Hyrule. In the end she had also saved herself.

When Link finally opened his eyes, he saw Mipha lying next to him and smiling. She ran her hand through his hair, pushing it back from his face.

"Welcome to the first day of our life together," said Mipha.

Then she leaned toward him, and they kissed. Link reached out and gently stroked her tail fin as he smiled back at her.

"And the first day of my dream come true," said Link. "I'll start it by saying I love you. Did I ever tell you what beautiful smooth skin you have?"

"The better to swim with, sweetheart," laughed Mipha. "Speaking of which, it would be good for me to get in some water time. Join me?"

They made their way from the bed to the built-in slumber pool in their room and entered the water together. Mipha let out a sigh and closed her eyes.

"I can try to sleep in the pool with you from now on," said Link. "Floating with just my head above water feels very relaxing."

"Rest your head on me and close your eyes," said Mipha. "It's still too early to get up, and we had a long night."

Link leaned his head against her. After a few moments, Mipha's breathing stopped as her gills took over, and the only sounds were Link's breathing and the soothing splash of the waterfall outside their house. He yawned, closed his eyes, and drifted off to sleep again.

Later that morning, when Link awoke, he found Mipha still asleep. His head was leaning on her, and he didn't want to move. For one thing, she felt too soft and cozy. The extra sleep had been very refreshing, and he felt comfortable in the water. It was essential for her to get enough water time, and evening rest was the most natural time to do that. He could handle sleeping with her there from now on.

After a half-hour or so, Mipha stirred. Then she felt Link's head resting on her, and she caressed his cheek.

"It's a nice surprise to wake up with you by my side," said Mipha. "Shall we get up now? I can catch some fish, and you can cook yours the way you like it."

"Let me come with you," said Link. "I don't want to spend a moment apart from you on our first day together."

"Just try not to scare the fish," laughed Mipha taking his hand.

"We should inspect the house," said Mipha later, after they had finished breakfast. "We were too busy last night."

"Yes, last night didn't seem quite the right time for a house tour," laughed Link.

They had already seen their bedroom and the combination kitchen/dining room. There were two other slightly smaller bedrooms on the first level, each with a slumber pool and a dresser for storing things. They made their way upstairs, and the room that you first entered was a large living room with a couch, three armchairs, and a small table. Adjoining the living room was a study with a desk, a desk chair, a bookcase, and two armchairs for reading.