Chapter 13 - Changing of the Guard

Summary: Link and Zelda travel to Kakariko Village, and Zelda discusses setting up a temporary residence there with Impa. The Sheikah Tribe will soon take over as Zelda's full-time guards, but Link remains her appointed knight until they reach Zora's Domain.

When Link met Zelda for breakfast at Wetland Stable before beginning their journey to Kakariko Village, he was feeling better, and it seemed she was too.

Link felt better because he had finally told Zelda about his relationship with Mipha. Until he had gotten that off of his chest, he had felt he was dishonest with her, and he hated that feeling. Zelda had always trusted him just as he trusted her, and he never wanted to lose that bond between them. Her questioning had helped him to finally speak his mind. He was relieved that conversation was behind them now, and he no longer had any secrets from her. He could be himself again. And he had switched back to the Zora Armor.

Zelda felt better because her conversation with Link had made it clear to her that she needed to be stronger and more self-reliant. She needed to do some growing up and face reality. The last time she saw her dear friend, Urbosa had told her there was no point feeling sorry for herself. And that was equally good advice right now. She needed to focus on rebuilding Hyrule without Link at her side as she had once planned. And she could manage that.

Link sensed a briskness to Zelda's manner now that made her seem more like a person of action and in charge of things. Which, of course, is what she actually was.

"Good morning, Link," said Zelda. "Did you sleep well?"

"Eventually, Your Highness," said Link. "Our conversation yesterday was not easy for me, and I worried I had not handled it as well as I could have. But I did the best I could."

"It was not an easy conversation for me either," laughed Zelda. "But you handled it quite well, and we certainly needed to have it. That's quite an exquisite set of armor you're wearing now."

"Yes, it is a Zora tradition," said Link. "It is Mipha's handmade wedding gift to me."

"It fits you very well," said Zelda. "It must have taken her a great deal of time to make something so fine."

"Yes, I'm sure it did," said Link.

"And it is very appropriate that you wear it now," said Zelda. "The days of the Champions are over. They did their duty, even to death, and they helped us to defeat Ganon. That was the purpose our group was formed. It seems so long ago now we stood listening to my father address us all in the throne room, doesn't it?"

Zelda paused for a moment.

"But your decision means I need to make new plans now," said Zelda. "You have done so much for me and for Hyrule, Link, that nothing could ever adequately repay you. But the least I can do for you now is to give you a chance to live the life you want with Mipha. Therefore, I am going to rely on the Sheikah Tribe to be my guards from now on, or at least until the Hyrule Royal Guards are restored. Unless you feel strongly otherwise, I would like you to remain on as a Captain in my Royal Guards. It comforts me to know that I could call upon you in time of need. But you are free from now on to live in Zora's Domain, or anywhere else you may wish."

Link was startled by this turn of events, and it pained him at first. He had thought he would have more time to be together with Zelda, that he could travel with her to Goron City, Rito Village, and Gerudo Town before saying goodbye. Now he realized their time together would end in only a couple of days. But perhaps it was better for both of them to make a quick break. Long goodbyes were not always the best ones. And he had to admit her use of the Sheikah made sense.