Shock

"Doctor!"

Nardole's loud voice pulled the timelord out of his deep slumber. He sat up in his bed, still half asleep.

"I told you so, I always told you, but you wouldn't listen...!", he heard the cyborg rambling.

"What happened?", he said, blinking the sleep off his tired eyes.

"Missy is gone! With the TARDIS!"

It was as if someone had dipped him into ice and lava at the same time. He didn't want to believe it, didn't want to believe that she played him, that she hurt his trust that way.

"You shouldn't have allowed her to be alone in there! The temptation was way too high!", Nardole went on with complaining, but the Doctor didn't listen. He climbed out of the bed and walked to the office to see it for himself. The pain of his ankle didn't even reach his brain. Everything was dull.

Nardole had been telling the truth. The TARDIS was gone. The Doctor just stared at the empty spot, not knowing what to do.

"How long has he been like that?", Bill asked quietly, looking at the Doctor who was sitting at his desk, staring at the spot where the TARDIS had been.

"Since he saw that the TARDIS is gone.", Nardole replied. "She did a good job with tricking him."

"I can't believe it either..." Bill shook her head.

"He doesn't respond to anything." Nardole shook his head. "I think he's in shock."

"I don't get why she would do that. Why now? She has been in there for so long..."

"I told you she was planning something." Nardole shook his head. "Her innocent face lets everyone forget what she is capable of. That is a woman who would burn a whole planet just to have enough light for her makeup."

"Isn't that a bit overdrawn?"

Nardole looked at her. "No, it's not! She has actually done that!"

Bill didn't know what to respond to that and looked back at the Doctor. "He seems so lost.", she said quietly.

"He doesn't want to admit how much he got attached to her." Nardole shook his head. "He trusted her completely. Now his world is shattered."

"Doctor...?" Bill carefully stepped closer to him. He didn't react at all.

"Are you okay?", she tried again and grabbed his hand. It was a stupid question. He obviously wasn't okay and didn't even react to her touch.

"I think he needs some time.", Nardole sighed.

"If you need anything just call me, okay?" Bill carefully squeezed the Doctor's hand. "I'll always be there to talk." She gave him a warm smile.

The Doctor still didn't move but he could feel his fingers tightening the grip lightly. She pulled him into a hug and caressed his back. It was hard for her to see him like that. But for him it probably was even harder.