third shot.

(third shot)

03 | in which her
business goes well.

"Listen, girls," Bella started in front of the women, interrupting the buzz between them, they were all delighted with the new house.

The new house was spacious, used to be an old boarding house, but Bella paid for the renovation and looked much better now. She had to spend on some serious improvements, but she thought more of it as an investment.

"Well, I'll introduce you to your new house today, you can now bring your family here to stay when you want." Bella paused as an excited buzz began. "Times are hard, many women are losing their jobs and the war is taking their men. You are incredible, and I am proud of what all this has become, here in you will never be humiliated or treated bad again, the place belongs to you, take good care of it.

There was a round of applause, some women had their eyes watering. Bella went down the two stair steps that came up to speak and was greeted by all of them.

That was when she saw an ordinary face come in through the front door.

The women scattered around the house to see their rooms, Polly Gray looked around.

"I'm impressed," said Tommy's aunt. "It explains why the money Tommy left is intact."

"How's it going, Pol?" Bella smiled approached her, the two finally hugged each other in an accomplice.

"Oh, honey, I'm glad you're not sitting in the junkyard crying like a widow anymore," Polly said and Bella laughed briefly.

"Things are going well, Pol." Bella broke away from Polly. "Some of the girls got jobs elsewhere and since February, I hired a lot of new girls."

A woman opened the door, Rebecca Robinson's freckled face looked worried to see Polly.

"A letter has arrived for you, Bella," the woman said, extending the envelope to Bella. "Was there a problem?"

Rebecca looked at Polly quickly, the woman rolled her eyes.

"No, Rebecca," Bella denied. "Polly is a friend."

Changing behavior, the woman smiled and greeted the other.

"See that insect." Polly referred to Rebecca, and Bella watched the scene amused by the older woman's teasing. "Well, these women seem to enjoy working for you."

"They needed protection and I needed money," Bella said and folded her arms. "Some of them have never been to the doctor, and some of them have been taken from their clients. I can control what happens from here, at least."

"They pay for protection."

"Some men like to attack, they do not have that problem here."

"Tommy will be very surprised to see you become Birmingham's youngest pimp." Polly sneered.

"I'm not a pimp, I hire prostitutes because they're the ones who ask the most for a job. They pay me off with their work, they're entertainers," Bella explained. "What they do to make higher income is none of my business."