fourteenth shot.

(fourteenth shot)

14 | In which she's got the devil and God by her side.

Standing out in the crowd was not a difficult thing for Bella, she was a poor woman walking around with her head held high as if she were the daughter of a Lord. Yes, it was difficult for some individuals to accept her presence, but Bella was not so good at accepting what others believed and so she would be everywhere they said she should not be.

A meeting related to the financial movements of the rumor began, and she was the only woman and the only black person inside the room, with her legs crossed anda serious look, speaking loudly and loudly so as not to risk being interrupted by annoying and parallel conversations to the subject only to be excluded from the middle.

Gilbert was behind her chair as a watchdog, and Bella gladly showed the details of the place since she had begun to manage it. They didn't admit it, but Bella knew she was doing a good job. Numbers were becoming a habit, she could not trust accountants and all she learned about finance was reading books until dawn.

She also had to deal with other personal problems, with the rivalry between the gangs and the possibility of an invasion at any time, with men trying to overthrow her position as manager, with Francesco being in a relationship with the new head of his family that could result in him becoming a hindrance to the man's own business should things get worse.

"You're doing a nice job here." Francesco commented, Bella was sitting in front of the table inside the nightclub office after the reunion.

"You pay me to do a good job." countered with a gentle smile.

"My cousin is enjoying your work."

Bella raised her chin when she heard the mention of Darby Sabini.

"He likes it, eh?" Bella murmured. Francesco lit the cigarette, his gaze traveling to the people on the other side of the glass that separated the office from the lounge.

"Believe me. My cousin is a difficult man, but he understands more about competence than it seems."

Bella was not liking the direction of the conversation. She knew men more than the men around her met, and when a man started turning to talk to a woman, it meant that something the woman in question would not like would come soon after.

"He seems to be a determined man." She says with a smile that did not match the distrust in her eyes. Francesco looked over his shoulder as if spit behind a door.

"He believes that I should follow my real wishes."

Bella knew very well what Darby Sabini wanted, and Francesco's good was not on the Italian gangster wish list. She knew of the man's fame of overthrowing anyone who stood in his way, and he would hardly do anything in which he had not gained himself.

The young woman of Birmingham was a little surprised at Francesco's necessity for approval of his family.

She was slow to respond, her smiling lips closing in a line.

"And what are your real wishes, Mr. Sabini?"

Francesco dropped the smoke from the cigarette.

"I never wanted to take part in my family's business when my father was in charge. But somehow, I feel like things are going to change with my cousin, Bella." He did not look into her eyes, his dark orbs were focused on the cigarette between his fingers while saying the next sentence. "I'm selling the club."

Bella made a subtle movement with her head, indicating that she understood. He got up from the chair and ran his index finger across the table.

"Do you already have a price?" If he made the right proposal, she would accept. In recent months, she had made that place grow unbridled, there was no one who didn't know that particular club in London.