fourth shot.

(fourth shot)

04 | in which it is 1919,
and the war changed all.

"Forgive me, Mr. Walters, I don't hire men," she said, leaning back against the chair. "Most of the work we do here is cut and sew, party and dance entertainment, unless you're interested in doing any of those services, I can't help."

The man grimaced, shaking his head and then looking worried.

"There were rumors that you was hiring men for protection, ma'am."

Bella put her hands folded on the table.

"It was just rumors, Mr. Walters. I pay Peaky Blinders for protection as well as almost every retailer of Small Heath. "

"Is not there really nothing I can do? I have four children, my wife is dead and the factory money is no longer enough. "The man continued desperately.

She was really touched by her words, not even demonstrating, she knew the consequences of the war and knew that old Walters was in France too.

Bella opened the drawer of her desk and took out a letterhead, jotting down something that the man holding his hat in front of her couldn't see.

"Would you do any service?"

"Anyone, ma'am."

"Even outlaw?"

"I need to feed my children."

Bella nodded, folding the paper and handing it over.

"You can go to this address, talk to Polly Gray and tell her that you're looking for a job. Tell her I sent you, maybe there's something for you," she said and smiled softly.

The man's eyes widened.

"Polly Gray?"

"Yeah, from what I know, the Shelby's still hiring men."

"But, and-" The man began, fearful. "And Tommy Shelby, madam? He will not mind?"

The young woman smiled brightly, the lines of her beautiful face becoming more prominent.

"Oh, he will not mind."

Just as the man left Bella's room, Rebecca carried some papers and made a lively expression at the sight of him.

"And then? Got any service? "

"She asked to speak to Polly Gray, thank you for the nomination, Rebecca," he thanked her and then joined his eyebrows. "But ... What relationship does she have with the Shelby?"

Rebecca laughed.

"You don't know?" She shook her head disbelievingly. "She's engaged to Tommy Shelby, all Small Heath knows it."

After putting the seal on the last letter, Bella walked out the door, walking in a hurry, intending to make it to the time she should be. Her office was located inside the theater, it was common to see the girls rehearsing on stage and some of them waved to Bella when they saw her in the hall, she waved back a smile.