sixteenth shot.

(sixteenth shot)

16 | In which think
about makes it worse.

Tommy couldn't move without pain, but remembered hearing her voice as if he was hallucinating again in a tunnel.

"Please take care of him, he's my best friend."

He didn't know how he got to the hospital, but somehow he was there when he woke up.

There was no part of his body that didn't hurt, he couldn't move his muscles without feeling them heavy like anvil. To his surprise, she was there when he woke up, sitting in a chair far from his bed, wearing a long coat and curly hair framing her face, she was with her arms folded and gazing at him with an apprehensive expression.

"Bella," his first reflex was to whisper her name, she rose and came toward him.

"And here we are again" she started looking up, tommy tried to arrange himself in bed. "You almost died somewhere and killed me out of concern."

"Did you find me?" Tommy asked with a broken voice, his throat also hurt like the rest of his body.

"Yes, but Mr. Campbell was already there when I arrived." Bella sat on the edge of the bed carefully, Tommy watched her and noticed that there was fatigue in her face from those who had not slept enough.

She studied his whole face and Tommy took advantage of her care as long as he could, it seemed to him to be a unique and exclusive advantage of being in that situation.

His hoarse voice hardly came out again when he tried to speak.

"How did you find out?"

"I've had a few men with Sabini." She touched the back of her hand on his forehead, Tommy closed his eyes with her warm touch on his skin. "You're burning with fever, I'll call the nurse." She got up ready to walk away, but Tommy used the goodwill he had in him to raise his hand and wrap it around her wrist.

Bella stopped, not trying to break free.

"Why did ya' come?" Tommy muttered the question, not strong enough to raise his tone of voice. The corner of Bella's lips rose.

"So many questions." she joked, and put her hand on his. "We are soul mates, how would I not come?"

Tommy tried to find an answer, but he didn't know either. The only thing he could think through the pain was the reason why she was there, Tommy knew that he don't deserved that goodness from her and see Bella make him feel surprised and hopeful.

Tommy didn't like to feel hopeful.

Bella let go of the grip on her wrist and walked out to the door, he tried to follow her with his eyes even if his eyelids were sore. As she walked away from Tommy's room, Bella began to drop some of her confident posture.

He was not well and she was even more worried about it, Bella knew that Tommy was full of enemies and that standing still in one place for a long time was not safe.

She considered taking him to her house, but he couldn't stand a car trip to London and wouldn't leave without Sabini knowing where he was. Bella ran her fingers through her hair, dragging the curls back. Her hazelnut wild eyes went towards the lighted hallway, noticing the presence of Chester Campbell, walking with the help of a cane and accompanied by a blonde nurse.

"I need to go check Thomas Shelby's room, he's woken up and has a fever." Bella said softly to the nurse as she approached the detective.

"Yes, Ms. Andriessen." The woman nodded and went to the room. She did not disguise her mocking smile when facing the man.