Chapter Six

A few minutes after Liam took off, I politely asked William to leave, but I made him write down his phone number first.

He left the suitcase full of gifts on the table and he actually did leave.

After he left, I called Noah and told him it was complicated, that Liam left. He offered to bring the kids home and I accepted, and now all three kids are home, bathed, and asleep in their bedrooms.

I'm still sitting at the kitchen table, well past one in the morning, waiting for him to arrive.

I texted him and told him that I loved him, but I haven't heard from him since.

I get it. He needs some space. When I needed space, he gave me space when nobody else would, so I'm not going to keep badgering him, even though inside my heart is pounding and I'm terrified.

I get up from the table to pour myself a glass of water. I sit back down, staring at the letter.

I never opened it. It wasn't mine to read, so I didn't open it.

I sigh quietly, worried about Liam.

Where is he? Is he okay? Is he safe? If he was with one of our friends or relatives, they would tell me. Why hasn't he called? Is he hurt? Is he in danger?

I bury my face in my hands, my heart aching.

My phone vibrates with a text and I look down at it.

Noah: I know it's late but is he home yet? He's my brother you know? Kinda concerned

Me: he's not home.

Noah: did you call him

Me: no. if he's ready to talk he will call

Noah: okay. Just lmk if you need anything

Me: I will thanks

I sit my phone on the table and press my palms into my eyes, my heart heavy.

"Momma?"

I look up in surprise. Theo stands by the kitchen counter with his teddy bear in his hand.

"Hey Peanut," I stand up. "What are you doing up?"

He looks down at the ground and starts crying.

"Hey," I say softly. I bend down and pick him up. He buries his head in my shoulder and cries softy.

I sit down at the table and rub his back gently.

"What's the matter baby?" I ask him softly. "Why are you crying?"

He pulls away, sniffling. He reaches up and wipes his eyes.

"Momma, why isn't Daddy home?" he whispers. "Are you and Daddy breaking up? Daddy wasn't home to tuck me in. Did you make me go to Uncle Noah and Aunt Aria's so you could talk to Daddy? Where is he Momma? Do you still love each other?"

My heart breaks.

"Oh Peanut," I murmur. "Mommy and Daddy love each other very much, I promise. Daddy is just out doing some adult stuff, but he's going to come home soon."

"But you guys aren't going to break up, right?" he mumbles.

"Of course not, sweetie, of course not. Me and Daddy love each other so, so much. We could never break up."

"I don't want to go to sleep until Daddy gets home," he tells me.

"Oh Peanut, it's very late. I think you should go to sleep."