Treat You Better

This one involves domestic abuse, both physical and mental. It's an AU as well, so bear that in mind. Please proceed with caution if this stuff can trigger you.

My sister came up with this whole story and I just wrote it out for her, so full credit to ImsoDunwithyou
---------

The hospital was quiet when Nico went to work that morning. People were still groggy and were trying to wake themselves from sleep as they downed cups of coffee. The murmur of chatter from the patients mixed with the sound of shoes against the hospital floor as people rushed by. Nico made his way to the lounge, where he proceeded to get changed into his scrubs. He hoped today would be a good day; the past few had been overly stressful. He knew that today, a bunch of new interns were starting. In fact, he was quite excited to meet them all. The days of being an intern were always so invigorating and tense, but it was a series of events that no doctor would ever forget.

"You're in early," A familiar voice echoed from behind him, catching his attention. He turned to see his fellow doctor, Dr. Atticus Lincoln, though he often went by Link. "Special occasion?"

"Nah," Nico chuckled, slipping his scrub top over his head. "Just felt like it'd be good to get in early today. Something told me it would be worth it."

Link rolled his eyes sarcastically as he went to get changed as well. The new interns would be arriving at any moment and Nico wanted to be there to greet them. He hadn't been at the hospital too long himself, so he could relate to them in that manner. Perhaps it would be comforting to them.

Once Nico was done dressing himself in his scrubs, he made his way out the lounge to go grab a drink for the day. The hospital was beginning to wake up around him now, many nurses and doctors were switching shifts. People were beginning to come in to get checked over, whether it be appointment or chance. As Nico was making his way between the crowds of people, he managed to bump straight into someone. It was his own fault for being off in his own world. The person was smaller than he was, which only meant the impact was something that almost knocked him off his feet. Nico only just managed to grab his arm to stop him from stumbling.

"Oh shit, I'm so-" As he turned to apologize to the person he'd smack straight into, they locked eyes. And holy shit, this guy was attractive. Why had Nico never seen him before? "Sorry. I am so sorry. Are you okay?"

The guy cleared his throat and pushed his glasses back up his nose with his index finger before brushing down his lab coat. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine."

"Oh, are you one of the new interns?" Nico asked, suddenly feeling a strange pang of guilt in his stomach. It only grew when the guy nodded nervously.

"First day," He joked, trying to make light of the awkward situation. "Honestly, I'm okay."

"I feel so bad, uh..."

"Schmitt. Levi Schmitt."

"Levi, let me make it up to you. We can go get a drink together, tonight. What do you say?" Nico fiddled with his fingers as he spoke, hoping that Levi would take his offer. The intern stuttered at the request for a brief moment, taking a deep breath to calm himself before eventually shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, I can't. My uh, boyfriend is picking me up as soon as I'm done here tonight." Levi admitted, pursing his lips together as he waited for Nico to say something in response. Nico let out a small 'oh' as he dipped his head, shoving his hands in the pockets of his scrubs.

"Well, we can still go as friends, some other time, perhaps?" Nico hoped that Levi could accept that offer, as he really wanted to make it up to him. Having someone almost knock you off your feet on the first day of your job can't be much fun.