Words Hurt

It had been two whole weeks since Nico had set foot in an OR. He refused to do another surgery until he felt as if he was ready. Well, that and the fact Bailey wouldn't let him. Nico knew that he messed up big time and there was absolutely no way he would ever be able to forgive himself for it. He beat himself up every damn minute of every damn day because he couldn't forgive himself. It would be a moment that would haunt him forever.

Now he as back, ready to help alongside Jackson and Levi. It was a simple surgery, something which he knew he'd be able to handle. Still, the nerves were starting to get to him, which was generally never something that happened. He kept it to himself, though, as he didn't want to worry anyone about his first surgery back after two whole weeks.

A woman had come in after being knocked off her bike. She ended up with an open fracture leg wound and quite a few nasty scrapes. Thankfully, her helmet had saved her from any head injuries. It almost brought Nico back to his first day at the hospital; the whole situation just seemed so similar.

The surgery was going well so far and Nico could feel himself slowly gaining his confidence back. He just hoped it'd stay that way.

"So," Jackson began, not wanting to have to work in silence. "San Fransisco, huh?"

Nico chuckled to himself, looking up from where he was working on the patient's leg. "Yeah, it's a great place. I'll be happy if I get the job there. It's a massive opportunity."

Levi glanced at Nico out of the corner of his eye, letting out a muted sigh. He wanted Nico to stay. He really did, as San Fransisco was so far away. Honestly, he didn't know what he'd do if Nico got the job there.

"You'll get it, I'm sure. No matter what you think, you're a great surgeon." Jackson reminded Nico and even though Jackson couldn't see it, he knew Nico was smiling. Levi inhaled deeply as he assisted Jackson, shifting his weight from one foot to another. Jackson briefly glanced up at Levi.

"Thanks," Nico spoke, a hint of sadness in his tone. "I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for it. But, there is nothing I can do about it now."

"Mistakes happen, Nico." Levi finally spoke up, though his tone was somewhat bitter. Jackson and Nico exchanged a confused glance, wondering where Levi sudden little outburst had come from.

Nico knew that Levi wasn't happy about him possibly leaving. He'd expressed his feelings about it on many occasions. Even though Levi constantly said he was happy for Nico, he knew better than that. Nico knew that Levi would be upset if he did get the job and had to move away. He knew that a storm was coming.

"What will you do if you get the job?" Jackson tried to break the uncomfortable silence that had fallen between them.

"Well, I'll obviously have to move to San Fransisco. I love working here, a lot. I've been welcomed here by everyone and you're all like family to me," Nico paused for a second to concentrate on what he was doing. "I'll be sad, though. Leaving won't be easy."

"You're saying that as if you know you'll be leaving for sure."

"It's a strong possibility, Levi." Nico snapped back without a moment's hesitation. Jackson shook his head and turned his attention back to the patient. The OR wasn't a place to be arguing, nor did he really want to get involved.

"Can you just shut up for once?" Nico looked up from where he was working on the patient's leg. "They might not even want you now, considering you killed a patient!" Levi spat, completely out of the blue. Both Nico and Jackson paused, completely taken aback by Levi's harsh words. Sure, they had some truth about them, but there was no need for him to be so nasty to Nico.