Heart of Stone

It had been there since that morning.

That weird, strange, uneasy feeling. That something is going to go terribly, utterly wrong, but there is nothing you can do to stop it or avoid it. The inevitable.

It had haunted Nico since the moment he had woken up. He couldn't tell what it was, or why it was there, but it made its presence known. Something was going to happen today. Something bad.

It had stayed with him as he left for work that morning. It stayed with him as he arrived. It stayed with him as he got ready, as he treated his first patient, as the minutes ticked by and hours passed.

Nothing seemed to rid the unwelcome feeling.

"Nico, are you alright?"

A voice snaps him out of his trance as he blankly stares at the chart in front of him. How long had he been standing there?

He turns his attention to the person who spoke to him, being greeted with the concerned look of both Link and Jo. He thinks for a moment; is it worth lying to them? Or will they know better, and know he's lying?

"I don't know," is what he eventually comes out with, after a moment of fumbling over his words. He slides the chart over to Link and buries his face in his hands, taking a moment to regain himself. Jo watches on as Link checks over the chart. She may not be the best of friends with Nico but she can tell when something is bothering him. At times, he reads like an open book.

Link finishes checking over the chart and turns his attention back to Nico. There is something off about him, something he can't quite put his finger on.

"Do you need to take a moment?" Jo asks, leaning her hip against the nurse's station. Nico shakes his head, though he knows it would probably be best. Then again, he thinks, if he takes a break now, the feeling will only get worse and he won't be able to shake it.

So far, nothing has happened. Part of him thinks he's stupid for feeling this way. Another part of him is keeping him on his feet, waiting. Waiting for it to happen.

"If you need to take a moment to yourself at any point, or if you need to talk-"

"Thank you, Link, but I'm okay. It's just this dumb uneasy feeling. It will go soon."

"Oh," is all Link says. Then his face shifts, from a look of concern to a look of questioning. Nico tries to decipher what he is thinking, but his attempt is fruitless. "Well, we better get back to this patient. Again, if you need to step out, do so."

Nico nods his head once, forcing himself to smile as the three of them turn, making their way back to their patient.

As they are making their way to the patient's room, Meredith passes by them, and something about Nico catches her attention. She turns back and jogs after them, stopping them. She takes Link and Jo aside, making a few glances at Nico as they talk. He stands there, confused, wondering what they are talking about.

Link seems to stop, think, and sigh before nodding, gesturing over to Nico.

Now he just feels even more uneasy.

Meredith gives him a thankful smile before she turns back to Nico, leading him away into a quieter part of the hospital, where the halls weren't filled with patients, doctors, and nurses alike. Nico's mind rushes over everything he could have possibly done wrong, things he could have said, or even thought. Could Meredith secretly read minds?

They eventually get to a quieter hallway and Meredith places a hand on Nico's arm to stop him. She stands in front of him, arms crossed, an unreadable expression planted on her face. Nico swallows down the slight fear he's feeling; maybe this was the inevitable thing that was meant to happen today.