Chapter 4

I wake to a silent house and I think that newt must just be sleeping in, I then remember that he's gone to Paris with Jacob. I strap on my boots and get dressed in a white blouse and a pale blue pinafore, I let my hair flow loosely down my shoulders, no meetings today so I don't need to dress too formal. Breakfast is lonely but I occupy myself by reading a chapter of quidditch through the ages. I tidy out a few of the enclosures and then sort out the sitting area from last night. My peaceful morning is interrupted by a knock in the door, I chuckle, bunty must have forgotten her keys. I go to the door and without hesitation open it up.

A group of aurors stand on the front steps headed by Theseus, I smile weakly trying to remain calm "hello, newt isn't in" I say easily. They storm through the front door pushing past me, Theseus remains at the back of the group "we know, he's left the country. We need to find out where he might have gone" he explains, he then looks at me "Torquil Travers, the head of magical law enforcement has decided that he must speak with you to help her any information you may know. It's just a formality but I have to ask you to come with me"

I nod "just let me grab my coat", I grab my pea green woolen coat and slip it on as slowly as possible. I peak in and see aurors rummaging through everything, "could you please ask them to take care in the basement, the creatures are down there and I really don't want them frightened" I ask as politely as I can muster. Theseus nods and calls out to his men to take care in the basement before grabbing my arm and aparating with me.

I am whisked away to a meeting room, Theseus remains in the room as we wait. Finally a group of very important people enter, they take a seat around the desk that sits at a curve facing the seat I've been sat in. "So this is the oddity that has many in the ministry talking" man starts. I smile brightly "I don't understand why they would be talking about me" I respond. "They talk of you because of your involvement in the New York incident. It is noted that you were part of the group that saved the city from the obscurial, and your role in doing so is notable." The leader says. I tilt my head and stare directly into his eyes, this must be travers "I know why I am here, apparently you want me to tell you everything I know about the whereabouts and motivations of newt, I don't know where he is or what he is doing" I state simply. "You we're unaware that he was missing from the apartment you share with him?" A woman asks, I shrug "I don't know his planned schedule for every single day, I assume he had gone out and would be back soon" I say. Travers stands up "I believe you know a lot more than you let on, it was documented after the battle, that it seems most of the oddities in New York had left a few hour prior. It was as if someone had told them there was trouble... we are aware of a similar connection between oddities in the UK, you all watch out for each other-" I interrupt "only because there is no one else to look out for us, if the governments of the world could somehow get rid of oddities they would" I click my fingers "quick as that"

Travers smiles "I believe that you and mr scamander have met with Dumbledore and he now uses you to get the oddity community's to rise up and rebel." He snaps. I shake my head but he continues "who would you side with, if offered: us or grindlewald" he asks. I stand up "I side with no one, I do not fight against or with anyone" I shout. Theseus puts a hand on my shoulder but I shrug it off and sit back down "can I go now" I ask. He smile "we cannot allow you to stay by yourself-" he starts "bunty can look after me" I argue. He looks down at a file "the responsibility of your care goes to Newton scamanders next of kin, Theseus scamander can take care of you" he says.

As myself and Theseus go to leave he calls out "and by the way when mr scamander is arrested and charged with conspiracy, you will be deported back to America" I feel a lump swell up in my throat at those words. Leta is waiting outside, I immediately burst out sobbing and she wraps her arms around me in an awkward embrace. "She has been told that when newt is arrested she will be sent back to America" Theseus explains and I sob harder "I can't believe it's all going to end". Leta hugs me tighter "shhh, we'll figure  something out" she soothes.

We use the flu network to arrive back at the flat they both share, leta sits me down in the sofa and goes to make some hot chocolate. "We'll go and collect some of your belongings from newts place in an hour or so" Theseus tells me before apparating away. Leta hands me a mug and I grip it tightly "if you go back to America... what will happen?" She inquires. I shrug "I honestly don't know, I probably can forget going to any school to learn how to use magic, that's definite" I murmur. She shakes her head "I will talk with Theseus to try and stop the deportation"  she says determination lacing her words, I nod half heartedly and we finish our drinks in silence.

Leta offers me a book on potions to keep me occupied whilst she sorts out my sleeping arrangements. I skim the words carelessly and unable to focus on anything. I spend the rest of the day trying and failing to not cause problems and then going with Theseus to collect my stuff. The whole house has been ransacked in a search for any clues and that includes my bedroom. I pack the essentials into my suitcase and also my ever trusty rucksack. Theseus notices my photo of myself and my parents that was taken a few months before they were killed. We had been visiting a few of fathers old friends who were still in the freak show, the same one that my father had traveled with before he had left to marry mother. "Is this your parents?" He asks inquisitively, I nod happily "yeah, that was taken a few months before they were killed, I would have been..." I glance at myself in the picture, I have my hair flying free and wearing a bright orange jumper "5 years old, that's judging by the orange jumper. Orange was my favourite colour, but after that I much preferred blue" I explain.

He shakes his head "I cannot imagine loosing your parents so young" He comments. I shrug sadly "neither can I to be honest, I never truly understood what exactly death was. I half expected them to return shortly" I pause for a moment "the orphanage sorted that out, I was told exactly how final death was and reminded of it daily" my voice is hard and i barely recognised it. I then grab the photo and place it in my suitcase snapping the lid shut "I much prefer England"
----
Dinner is basically just as awkward as I imagined, Theseus keeps trying to be friendly and Leta tries to keep conversation flowing with questions. To be honest I'm not in the mood to try and pretend that everything is normal but I remain civil.

"So did you have any friends in New York?" Leta asks, I shrug "sort of, there was a group of kids who lived in the streets that I was friendly with, we would work together a lot and basically just help each other out. That changed after I decided to cross the second salemers" I explain. "The second salemers?" Leta asks, I bite my lip "a group of no maj's who think it would be best to kill all witch's and wizards, like in the Salem trials" I say sadly.

I look down at my plate which is now empty, images flash through my mind of credence and his supposed death, anger and a deep sadness well up inside of me. Without warning my plate cracks right down the middle "I'm sorry" I blurt out quickly. Theseus waves his wand and the plate is back in one piece immediately "it's quite alright" he says but he sounds tired. Leta looks a little surprised "does that happen often" she asks timidly. I shrug "usually its lightbulbs" , Theseus looks concerned "how bad has it ever gotten?" He asks nervously.

I think back to New York "probably New York, immediately after credence was supposedly killed. I was able to cause the ground to shake and I blasted a few aurors of their feet" I look at them nervously "but that was the only time it's ever got that bad, and that was months ago" I protest. Leta smiles reassuringly "no need to look nervous, we just wanted to know how far your magic could progress" she explains. She leans forward "it happens in different ways to everyone at some point in their childhood, I once destroyed a cabinet full of my grandmothers best China, she was livid" she says in a joking manner.

At around 9 o'clock, I lie awake in the sofa trying to put my wandering mind at ease. The thought of being deported nearly sent me into another fit of tears but I put that out of my mind for now and focused in wondering what newt and Jacob were up to. Part of me deeply wished to have gone with them but going to Paris may result in seeing grindlewald again and I'm in no rush to see him or any of his followers again. Yet part of me wants to confront him and be a part of his capture, he is dangerous and he preaches an ideology that pampers mainly to pure bloods, the sort of people that killed my parents.